+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    the problem with saying religious institutions shouldn't be tax exempt is that they are - generally speaking - not for profit.

Any attempt to make them taxable would have a flow on effect on other charitable institutions

It sticks though Churches own so much land in Australia ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes, I'm aware of a lot of their beliefs. Honestly, I don't think it's any more crazy than any other religion.

It seems more "out there" because the beliefs vary a bit from the standard return-from-the-dead, god speaking to you, miracles etc... but it's no less believable as far as I'm concerned.

The one thing that makes scientology stand out to me is its origins. Sci-fi writer, followers are required to spend ridiculous amounts of money to 'advance' etc. Seems a bit suss. But that's not relevant when assessing whether something is actually REAL or not. What matters isn't how suspect something might seem, but the actual claims that are made. In that sense, I think it's on par with any other religion.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Should Scientology be allowed to buy up big land in Australia?

I guess if I'm about freedom to practise any faith in Australia, which I am, then I have to be ok with it. I've read enough about Scientology and their recruitment and retention practices though that it makes me slightly uneasy.

ETA I don't think the grammar in that last sentence is correct but I can't figure it out...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    the problem with saying religious institutions shouldn't be tax exempt is that they are - generally speaking - not for profit.

Any attempt to make them taxable would have a flow on effect on other charitable institutions
    Here's the thing though...any other not-for-profit has to jump through MASSIVE hoops to receive tax-exempt status. They have to prove that their activities are beneficial to the public good etc. Religious institutions have that assumed for them.

I have no issue with religious institutions being able to GAIN tax-exempt status, but I think that the playing field should be leveled. All organisations should have the same standards of proof to meet.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (18-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Haha... you don't have to convince me that all other religions sound just as bizarre!

…I'm just surprised that people are so "accepting" of such a large dodgy movement, simply because it considers itself a religion.

BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    yes - religions are assumed to be charitable, however they do have to prove that they meet the requirements (for tax purposes) of being a religion to be granted tax exempt status. Still lots of hoops to jump through.

(and in the case of Scientology I was of the understanding that the ATO did actually challenge it in court, but I could be wrong)

Again - the problem is that legislation cant be written specifically for one set of people or circumstances ... it has to encompass everyone. However companies, trusts, even religions can be set up to exploit loopholes that fancy lawyers and accountants are paid to find. its hard

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They muck with people's mental health - openly and intentionally.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (19-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    [QUOTE=FiveInTheBed;8005464]They muck with people's mental health - openly and intentionally.[/QUOTE
    Which religion doesn't?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BbBbBh View Post
    Which religion doesn't?
    I'm not sure what other religions views on anti depression meds and other behavioural medication is, I'll have to research it.
    Unless you can fill me in, do all religions ban them?

Sent from my LT15i using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 18-11-2014 at 21:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=FiveInTheBed;8005478]
    Quote Originally Posted by BbBbBh View Post

I'm not sure what other religions views on anti depression meds and other medication is, I'll have to research it.
    Unless you can fill me in, do all religions ban them?

Sent from my LT15i using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Many religions are against birth control. There was a Catholic pharmacist in regional NSW that stopped stocking birth control because it goes against his beliefs. I can guarantee that unwanted pregnancies can greatly impact one's mental wellbeing.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

BbBbBh  (19-11-2014)