ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tell me about your induction experience

I'm getting nervous, being induced either tomorrow if there is a cancelation or Tuesday. I'm currently 40+9 with #1, her head is still high and mobile, cervix still high and firm. I'm interested in reading about others experiences to understand the process a little better and hopefully ease my nerves. I understand there is a increased risk of cs so if you ended with a cs I want to hear about that too.

Is induction really more painful than a spontaneous labour?
    What's the recovery like?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Tell me about your induction experience

Subbing to reply properly later

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had an induction early due to high blood pressure (doctors wanted to reduce stress by inducing me)
    I was told to come to the hospital at 2pm. I was only measuring half a centimetre. By 6pm they put gel on my cervix and labour started to progress. Constant contractions. By 12am I was in so much pain (low pain threshold) they checked how far I was and I was at 3-4cm. I was moved to a birthing suite and given pain relief which I asked for. I can't remember what time but I asked for an epidural. By the time that was done it didn't get to work because I DS was ready to come. At exactly 4:40am my beautiful DS was on my chest.
    I did tear. I told them I wanted it to happen naturally I had an absolutely wonderful midwife. I healed fine. Quickly.
    I can't comment on the difference between being induced and going into labour naturally. This was my first and I can say that it went smoothly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    I had two inductions, both at 41+3.

When people say they're more painful it's because you don't get the less painful contractions spaced 5-10 minutes apart, both inductions the contractions started and they were the super intense ones 3 minutes apart right from the get go.

I had jells with my first and my waters broke 2.5 hours later, more recently they broke my waters without jells and labour started 1 hour later.

Being your first birth, I would tell your OBGYN or midwife what pain relief you want first up so they will be prepared. I had planned on using hypno birthing with my first but given the intensity from the start, it didn't work, then I found myself trying the shower, tens machine and gas before admitting defeat (about hypno birthing not working) and got an epidural.

This time I told my midwife that unwanted the epidural right away. I used the gas (turned up to fill strength) while I waited for the epidural.

Both labours were short 5 hours first time and 4 hours this time. I only had a small graze with my first birth as I let the epidural wear off for pushing, whereas this time I kept topping it up and didn't feel any pain when pushing and didn't end up with even a graze.

My only regret with birth 1 was not getting an epidural right away and second time, no regrets at all, as far as births go it was smooth sailing (even with the cord around his neck - but that was untied when his head came out) and the recovery was great, I was home 4 hours after giving birth.

What sort of pain relief had you been planning?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was induced with no.2. 11 days past due date, 2 stretch n sweeps and no signs of labour. Cervix high and closed.

I had the cervidal tape inserted at 7am. By 4pm my contractions were getting regular and uncomfortable. At 7pm I was about 4-5cm. Had my waters broken at 7:30 (I was planning a water birth and needed to check for meconuim).

Baby was born in the birth pool at 9pm.

From 7pm it was a hard and fast labour. Very intense and grueling. I was vomiting with the force of it, but he was delivered safe and sound. I did tear but all my babies have had quick exits so I'm not sure i could of helped that. Plus I had an existing episiotomy scar.

Hindsight I probably wouldn't have had my waters broken and just continued labouring on land but at the time the thought of hurrying along and getting him born was very appealing also.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I had two inductions, both at 41+3.

When people say they're more painful it's because you don't get the less painful contractions spaced 5-10 minutes apart, both inductions the contractions started and they were the super intense ones 3 minutes apart right from the get go.

I had jells with my first and my waters broke 2.5 hours later, more recently they broke my waters without jells and labour started 1 hour later.

Being your first birth, I would tell your OBGYN or midwife what pain relief you want first up so they will be prepared. I had planned on using hypno birthing with my first but given the intensity from the start, it didn't work, then I found myself trying the shower, tens machine and gas before admitting defeat (about hypno birthing not working) and got an epidural.

This time I told my midwife that unwanted the epidural right away. I used the gas (turned up to fill strength) while I waited for the epidural.

Both labours were short 5 hours first time and 4 hours this time. I only had a small graze with my first birth as I let the epidural wear off for pushing, whereas this time I kept topping it up and didn't feel any pain when pushing and didn't end up with even a graze.

My only regret with birth 1 was not getting an epidural right away and second time, no regrets at all, as far as births go it was smooth sailing (even with the cord around his neck - but that was untied when his head came out) and the recovery was great, I was home 4 hours after giving birth.

What sort of pain relief had you been planning?
    I had been planning on just going with it. I'm unsure of what I can handle so if I realize that it's too much I will be open to all types of pain relief. As much as I would love to have a natural drug free birth, if I am in pain and there are options to make me feel better (and possibly relax me to speed up the process) I'd be stupid to refuse them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbielouise View Post
    I had been planning on just going with it. I'm unsure of what I can handle so if I realize that it's too much I will be open to all types of pain relief. As much as I would love to have a natural drug free birth, if I am in pain and there are options to make me feel better (and possibly relax me to speed up the process) I'd be stupid to refuse them
    Given your wants, I would request the gas and ask for it to be turned up as high as possible. The gas really does numb you all over, it's a strange sensation, even your head feels numb which is why you can feel really out of it / high - but the good thing is, once you stop sucking on the gas, all of your sensations return. I'm unsure if people wanting drug free births count gas as a drug though..?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had an induction with my third Bub at 39w - cervix and everything was not favourable. I did end up having 2 rounds of gel, and the cathedar balloon over 2 days before I was able to get to 2.5cm dilated. Put on the pitocin on day 3, regular contractions but no further dilation after 6 hours. Bubs heart rate dropped and ended up with an emergency csection.

Hindsight I could of waited a week but then again could of had the same outcome. I don't regret it, but it was a really rough experience compared to my first 2 labours (no interventions).

Good luck xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first induction was similar to @SimmyN.
    I had cervadil tape inserted around 5pm. I was supposed to go to hospital and try and get some sleep but an hour later when checking in at hospital I was having regular mild contractions. I then started vomiting but apparently I had an adverse reaction to the cervadil. By midnight I was 3-4cm so I asked for pain relief and was given Pethadine. A couple of hours later my waters had broken and I had severe back pain (mine was back labour due to posterior baby) so I ordered an epidural. By the time that was inserted I was ready to push So 20min of pushing and out came DD at 4:50am! I had an episiotomy and quite a few stitches plus a large bleed and took 40min to deliver the placenta. Thats my 1st story!
    I was induced again with DS using the foley catheter. It was inserted at 8pm and had mild contractions over night. The next morning I was 4cm dilated so my waters were broken and I was given the opportunity to wait and see if labour progressed or to go on the drip. I chose the drip as I hadn't slept much overnight and wanted to get things moving. They did in a big way and 2 hours later I was in intense pain but OB thought it was too late for an epi so I continued on. DS got a bit stuck (prolapsed cervix) which meant it was stuck on his forehead and I couldn't get to crowning stage. Once they realised that he was un-hinged (!) from my cervix and 4min later / 1-2 pushes and he was out! A very intense last hour but there you go. Again an epi and some stitches plus another large bleed. Recovery was fine ok.
    OP each and every story will be different in some way. Try to take it as it comes - noone every really knows how things will pan out. Best way to prepare I think it work on your relaxation skills and being able to remain calm no matter what happens