+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    There have been two members mention John Edwards is a fraud.

I am wondering how you both came to this conclusion?

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by butterfly81 View Post

I do not believe in psychic abilities. To the best of my knowledge there has not been a robust test of a psychic where they have proved their claimed abilities.

James Randi (a former stage magician who now focuses on challenging pseudo science and paranormal claims) did some analysis on a show of Edwards. (link)

It will be interesting to see if he employs the same techniques (eg, asking around to the audience "do you understand?").

It also does not hold up to critical thinking. Why can dead relatives only communicate through him (and a few others) and why are their messages so vague? Why does the dead person only communicate information that the audience member apparently already knows as opposed to:
    - is there life after death?
    - is there heaven/hell and how it all works?
    - which religion (if any) is the right one?
    - how's Elvis?

I think it's absolutely disgusting and reprehensible that Edwards et al exploits people's grief for passed away loves ones and earns millions in the process.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (13-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have been to loads. I love it! It's only for entertainment purposes though as I take it all with a grain of salt!

If psychics were real why can't they find MH370? Or why can't they predict the big things like Ebola, Tsunami? I don't know it's a hard one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Because I haven't been convinced otherwise.

simple.

He gains money through dishonesty = charlatan.

There is no proof he talks to 'dead people' - none.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    South Park did a funny ep on John Edwards and the process of cold reading.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BettyW For This Useful Post:

HeavenBlue  (14-11-2014),White Mage  (01-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've never seen a psychic, though some family members had a reading over the phone with a reputable medium and they report he was scarily accurate.

I had some goose of a woman read my palm about 14 years ago and she didn't really get anything right. Thankfully this wasn't a service I paid for!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyW View Post
    I remember that one - it totally took the p!ss.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyW View Post

found this short - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bptjghTNUkE

..pretty much!!

Now looking for the full episode is on my to do list - cheers!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Kazza78  (13-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Just watching him you can tell he's cold reading. He just guesses - he has an audience of 100 people and he starts off with vague questions like "anyone have a connection with a "b" name?"...silence from audience... "a name with a "b" in it?" And someone will respond (of course you're going to get a hit out of 100 people with something as vague as that!). Then he'll ask "is it someone who's passed over?" The person responds no, so he'll ask something like "is it a member of your family?"
    "Yes"
    "a man?"
    "No"
    "A female member of your family who has a 'b' connection with their name knows someone who has passed over"
    "Yes"
    "This person who has passed over wants them to know that they are ok, they're not in pain and they are happy...And they're worried about something but tell them not to worry"
    Cue, shocked gasps from the audience, wow how could he know that someone in the audience knows someone with a random letter in their name who knows someone who died, and that person is worried about something!?!?

Total fraud! And he exploits vulnerable people to make money.

The two that I have been to who I actually believed had a 'gift' of some sort never asked me a single question, just started rattling off facts about me as soon as I sat down. Literally only said hello, and they started talking.

Without getting too personal, one of the ones I went to said to me as I sat down "your boyfriends name is *dexter (name changed for privacy, but equally uncommon name) and he has hurt his right wrist, he's wearing a wrist support because he pulled a tendon while whisking eggs". I said, ummm no, the name is correct but his wrist is fine! But we carried on with the reading anyway and everything else she said was 100% accurate. I called my boyfriend to tell him about it and he told me that the night before he had hurt his right wrist whisking eggs so he had to go get a wrist support from the physio!

This was long before the days of facebook or social media, no one I knew had ever seen this woman, and I was on holidays in a different state when I saw her! So there is absolutely no way she could have known that? Even I didn't know it! And who would guess such a random thing!? Plus the other very personal things she knew...
    I do believe that a very few people can tune into the world on a metaphysical level and it allows them to access knowledge that the rest of us can't... But I believe in the 'universe as a hologram' theory put forward by Stephen Hawking. I think there is a scientific explanation for it, but we just don't know what that explanation is...yet!

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by littlelove; 13-11-2014 at 11:12.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to littlelove For This Useful Post:

HeavenBlue  (14-11-2014),Kazza78  (13-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoCo View Post

If psychics were real why can't they find MH370? Or why can't they predict the big things like Ebola, Tsunami? I don't know it's a hard one.
    Who are they gonna tell? Can you imagine having a dream about a flight going missing, then calling up the police or the army and telling them you had a dream that a flight went missing and you know where it is? You'd either be laughed at or locked up in an asylum! And if they actually followed through and you were right, you'd be pulled in for questioning as a terror suspect!

ETA - not having a go at you LoCo, just explaining why people might keep quiet when they have knowledge about something with no logical explaination of how they know it :/

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to littlelove For This Useful Post:

HeavenBlue  (14-11-2014),LoCo  (13-11-2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast