+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,788
    Thanks
    948
    Thanked
    545
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

    Default Step kids playing mum and step off against dad and step mum

    How do you deal with step kids playing mum and step dad off against dad and step mum?
    DSD has just started this, its like she's trying to work out where she can get the better deal in a sense. I find it extremely frustrating!

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  2. #2
    BH-KatiesMum's Avatar
    BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    23,017
    Thanks
    5,688
    Thanked
    6,149
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I have no advice - just want to offer some

    its so hard ... kids are tricky enough, but with 2 sets its twice as hard when they start with the manipulating


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,788
    Thanks
    948
    Thanked
    545
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thank you it is hard especially when bio mum guilts DSD in to doing the opposite of what she wants, that is week on week off... so now DSD is playing all of us..

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    QLD
    Posts
    2,251
    Thanks
    449
    Thanked
    1,535
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC14 View Post
    Thank you it is hard especially when bio mum guilts DSD in to doing the opposite of what she wants, that is week on week off... so now DSD is playing all of us..

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    How good is the relationship between your DP/DH and DSD's mum? A really quick way to squash it out is to be completely open and honest with DSD's mum. I'm sure she doesn't want DSD doing this either so she might be completely open to stopping the behavior straight away. If communication isn't wonderful you can always try the 'this is the way that we do it here'.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,788
    Thanks
    948
    Thanked
    545
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Best Things View Post
    How good is the relationship between your DP/DH and DSD's mum? A really quick way to squash it out is to be completely open and honest with DSD's mum. I'm sure she doesn't want DSD doing this either so she might be completely open to stopping the behavior straight away. If communication isn't wonderful you can always try the 'this is the way that we do it here'.
    DP usually just cruises along, he doesn't like conflict or upsetting anyone so usually if something has to be said I'll say it... except in situations like this one because he knows I'll pretty much just lose my sh!t.... his ex after 10 years still thinks they will get back together even though she has moved on..
    We have tried that before however she really isn't in to the whole "co parenting" thing she likes to be in the drivers seat so to speak

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  6. #6
    BH-KatiesMum's Avatar
    BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    23,017
    Thanks
    5,688
    Thanked
    6,149
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    maybe push her into driving this then.

    Set something up to meet with them, say 'this is what appears to be happening, how would you like us to handle it?' We want to support what you are doing, and not undermine anything you say, so when the kids are at your house, how are you approaching 'xyz'?

    If they are doing it differently to you, have that discussion about what might work ... but if you give her the control she may react better.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    6,752
    Thanks
    115
    Thanked
    922
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Turn the tables on DSD by having a 'parents' meeting, discuss anything that needs addressing

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,788
    Thanks
    948
    Thanked
    545
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    maybe push her into driving this then.

    Set something up to meet with them, say 'this is what appears to be happening, how would you like us to handle it?' We want to support what you are doing, and not undermine anything you say, so when the kids are at your house, how are you approaching 'xyz'?

    If they are doing it differently to you, have that discussion about what might work ... but if you give her the control she may react better.

    Good idea... she likes to think she's in control...
    Thank you

    Quote Originally Posted by RmumR View Post
    Turn the tables on DSD by having a 'parents' meeting, discuss anything that needs addressing
    Anythings worth a go at the moment....
    Thank you



    Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app


 

Similar Threads

  1. Step by Step guide to CC
    By Nothereanymore in forum Pro - Controlled Crying
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-08-2015, 17:16
  2. Anxiety IVF and step kids
    By Excited1 in forum Step-parents / Blended families
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-11-2014, 13:20
  3. Struggling with step kids
    By DizzyDaisy in forum Step-parents / Blended families
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 21-10-2014, 16:08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
SportsMed SubiacoSportsMed Subiaco's experienced physiotherapists offer a variety of exercise options for pregnant women and new mothers ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
CoQ10 yay or nay?Conception & Fertility General Chat
Transitioning out of swaddlesBabies (3 - 6 months)
Amazing August TTCConception & Fertility General Chat
Stroller for travelProduct Recommendations & Questions
Joyous June/July TTC! #2Conception & Fertility General Chat
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›