+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Advice about 9 year old

My daughter has very low self esteem (currently receiving counselling for this and other issues) and has been complaining for a few months about her hairy legs. She actually burst into tears this morning saying everyone teases her about them and she feels ugly. I feel so sad for her and have been putting off deciding whether to allow her to shave them etx but this morning made me realise I needed
    To seriously think about it. She is only 9 but I'm kinda thinking what's the harm?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    oh the poor thing I'd let her do it if it was my daughter and she was so upset. Is the hair on her legs very visible?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh the poor little girl. Jesus kids are cruel.

Honestly, if it will help her, shave them.

Me 👩 36; DF 👨 34
    DS 🐢 07/02/97 DD 🐝 27/09/99
    DS 🐳 26/04/02 DD 🐞 06/09/06
    DD 🐣 Due 03/12/14

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh that's sad. I don't know what I'd do in that situation, I have a 9yo DD too. I just worry though that they'd tease her either way? Like either she's got "really hairy legs", or "she's got such hairy legs that her mum has to shave them!". I'd probably seriously consider it. Though I must say I wouldn't be inclined to use shaving, but rather waxing (if she is aware and agrees to the pain).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (07-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, let her...my dd was in the same position and if it's going to make her feel better, it's worth it. Get her the veet or nair cream hair remover as the razor is a bit tricky for them at that age

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, let her do it.
    My mum use to shave my legs and arms from the age of 6.
    We lived on the coast and surfing was a big part of what I did as a child, I was in many clubs and surfed daily.
    The wax on the board would clump in my leg and arm hairs and it's was painful to pull them all out, so mum use to shave me.
    Point is, shaving will do no harm, you can even show her a few times how to do it to avoid nicks and cuts, her hair won't grow back worse, I fail to see anything really negative about it.
    If she has anxiety and is struggling already and this is a big issue for for, well it's really such a small thing in the grand scheme of things and it could just make life that little bit easier for her right now.

Perhaps take her shopping to buy some razors and cream, make it all a bit of a special event for her, it might boost her self confidence a bit.

As a child who suffered anxiety over self esteem issues myself from such a young age, and I'm still suffering I really feel for you and your daughter, kids can be so cruel!

Thanks
    Reviews
    9 is so young! I'd be very uncomfortable letting a child that young shave.
    Like a PP has said, what happens when she shaves and then is picked on for that, or it moves from hair to say her nose? Honestly, if it was me, I'd go to the school and suggest they start a program on bullying and self esteem. I'd get books on positive females in stories, natural beauty and self esteem. Stories rather than informative so she'll be happy to read them. I'd be doing everything to build her self worth and exposing her to body positive issues and happy strong women rather than "fixing" a perceived problem.
    Or I could be wrong and simply letting shave is bugger all in the great scheme of things and it might just do the trick.

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Both my first day had shave early than that as they are super hairy and wear a swimsuit had become a issues.
    My advice is to start of with a hair removal cream and do it with her.
    Make it a special mummy and daughter time while you are teaching her maybe 0aint your nails etc...

Thanks
    Reviews
    9 is so young! I'd be very uncomfortable letting a child that young shave.

Like a PP has said, what happens when she shaves and then is picked on for that, or it moves from hair to say her nose? Honestly, if it was me, I'd go to the school and suggest they start a program on bullying and self esteem. I'd get books on positive females in stories, natural beauty and self esteem. Stories rather than informative so she'll be happy to read them. I'd be doing everything to build her self worth and exposing her to body positive issues and happy strong women rather than "fixing" a perceived problem.

Or I could be wrong and simply letting shave is bugger all in the great scheme of things and it might just do the trick.

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

As I said she has counselling and we have used many tools to help with her low self esteem. As for the school they have a great no bullying policy.

Thank you for all the responses, I am going to get some hair removal cream and we can do our legs together. Not keen on waxing at this young age.
    And yes her legs
    Are super hairy thanks to her dad's genes lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also would get hair removal cream for her.

Girls are ruthless! DD10 is having a horrid year this year with one particular girl and I would do anything to help. Yes the school is addressing it, but it is heart breaking sending your child off to school every day knowing they will come home in tears. The main one we are fighting at the moment isn't hair legs but being called 'fat'....given that DD is actually underweight this scares the living daylights out of me.

You can only pull them up so many time before these sorts of things become their own self talk. Especially when they are coming into the age where the role of their peers becomes more important to them.

Good luck OP.