+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default MOST new mums are not convinced breast is best for their baby.

I found this article on the Age website today 29/11/06

MOST new mums are not convinced breast is best for their baby.

And many are embarrassed to breastfeed in public, a survey shows.
    A survey of 1500 women at last month's Pregnancy Babies and Children's Expo in Melbourne found 27 per cent of mothers rated breast milk ahead of formula.

The survey found 41 per cent were unsure which was better, 25.5 per cent said they were equal and 6.5 per cent said bottles beat breast.

Australian Breastfeeding Association spokeswoman Karen Commisso said the results were disappointing and new mothers needed more support, particularly from workplaces.

"Returning to work has a huge impact on the length that Australian women breastfeed," she said.

"If a mum chooses to continue to breastfeed after returning to work she needs somewhere to go to express and store the milk without being hassled or told to do it in a toilet block.

"They have breaks for workers to go out for a cigarette, surely they can have breaks for a woman to go and express her breast milk?"

Ms Commisso said she was surprised by the survey results because in her experience most women understood breast was best.

She said breast milk offered long and short-term health benefits for children, including being linked to lower obesity rates.

It also met all a baby's changing nutritional needs and provided early immunity to an infant.

The National Health and Medical Research Council recommends babies are breastfed for at least six months.

Ms Commisso said about 86 per cent of mothers initiated breastfeeding, but only 32 per cent still breastfed exclusively by the time their baby was six months old.

Social pressure, body image and concerns about feeding in public were among other reasons women switched to bottles, she said.

The Australian Breastfeeding Association also believes increased marketing of infant formula encourages women to abandon breastfeeding, and it wants the Federal Government to place restrictions on advertising.

The expo survey showed many women felt uncomfortable breastfeeding in public, ranking this problem behind sore nipples and breasts and difficulties feeding their baby.

sam's mum is offline and Amelia's and Belle's too....
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wonder how they phrased the question to people, and whether they had their full attention when they were asking?

Did they just take an "I don't know" answer from people as they rushed passed not having heard the question properly?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe the country is different to the city, but all of the new mums around here that i know have started their babies on bf. The majority of the ones that have swapped to bottles early is due to feeding problems / medical conditions. Although once they get to 6 months alot swap to bottles.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't think that environment was the best place to ask questions actually. People everywhere, lots of kids that needed constant supervision. I would wager that they would have got a better result away from the expo!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes I tend to agree that maybe the expo was a bit hectic to get straight answers from people but still the results are a bit sad to hear & maybe mums that do return to work need a bit more support like they mentioned!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What a sad result. I guess this is exactly why people like to spread the word about the benefits of bfing - there is an enormous hump to get past - people preconcieved notions about breast and bottle being the biggest culprit.

Wow - if 41% was unsure which was better, 25.5% thought they were equal and 6.5% thought bottles were better, that means that only 27% were properly informed!! Shocking!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Interesting results I would have thought that it was common knowlege that breast is best, it might not always be what a woman wants or can do but it is the way nature intended us to feed out babies

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be interested to see the actual questions on the survey, there may be more to it than a simple "which is better?" Maybe it was phrased in such a way that made the women say "I don't know". E.g, Do you think BF is better in the long run than FF? Maybe a question like that might get an unsure response.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like a porely conducted 'survey' to me