+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What goes into the planning of a wedding

So DP and i for some reason are talking about getting married. Obviously at the moment its all out of curiosity and good fun. One day we will eventually get married (i hope) but it has me thinking.. How DO you have a wedding that isnt going to cost a fortune? What exactly do you have to do? Ive never been to a wedding before let alone had one myself.. For everyone that had pretty much done everything themself i would love some feedback on how the heck you did everything! For future reference of course

Sent from my GT-N7105 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Budget, and use a spreadhseet :-) but most of all have fun doing it. We had a small family affair, (20ish people) not lavish, but still nice = under $8k with reception and a night away all paid for. Good luck

Ps: I used the spreadsheet for everything (rings, dress, flowers, tux, meal, hotel, celebrant, venue, car hire etc) - keeping track of costs and date/confirmations etc.
    Last edited by KitiK; 22-09-2014 at 07:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow, I'm surprised you've never been to a wedding!

First of all where to be married and by whom needs to be booked
    * Church / priest?
    * Wedding Registry?
    * Private setting (backyard) / celebrant
    * Public Setting (park, beach...) / celebrant

- Will you have a photographer? video?

-Will you have food and drinks afterwards for guests?

- Bridesmaids/Groomsman?
    -Flowers?

- Wedding cake?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (22-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a pretty low cost wedding (about 10k, but that's including about 3k for rings), and I did lots myself. The biggest cost was feeding people, so to keep costs down keep it small, we had 30 guests. We did pay more and opt for 3 courses where guests could order from 3 choices, food bill probably could have been cut right back doing cocktail, but we wanted an intimate restaurant dinner feel.

First thing I booked was the venue and based our date on what they had available, then started looking at photographers. We got a basic photography package with pics on disc so we could print ourselves. I got my dress on sale as it was the last one. I did my own flowers, just got them fresh from the flower markets the day before and made up very simple bouquets for myself and my sister (only bridesmaid) and large vases in the chapel. Table decorations were super simple silver vases from the op-shop with baby's breath and fresia's and candles. We didn't have a cake, a 3 course meal with desert was enough!

You don't have to spend big to have a beautiful wedding, we had so many comments on how simple and beautiful our wedding was.
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 22-09-2014 at 08:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Budget & research! Decide from the start what you feel are non-negotiable things you want & what you would like if affordable/available.

-invites
    -celebrant
    -ceremony
    -reception/party/dinner/lunch/breakfast
    -rings
    -guests
    -wedding party
    -photographer
    -cake!

We had a lovely relaxed day & didn't go over $10k. Had about 75 guests including 10 kids/teens. Could have had more people but we cut out anyone who we weren't in regular contact with - family or otherwise.

Simple country church ceremony followed by a relaxed dinner reception at the local golf club. Had a local semi-pro photographer for photos at the ceremony & the 2hrs up to the reception. We had 1 groomsman & bridesmaid + DD as flowergirl. Some lovely friends made the cake. Used a local florist, hairdresser, makeup artist & decorator. All up was a fantastic day.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just elope!

Our wedding was $6k and, although I really enjoyed it, I would have been just as happy to go somewhere nice and elope then celebrate with everyone when we returned. Or even just have a small ceremony and go for dinner with our immediate families, grandparents and best friends (24 of us). Alas, dh wanted the full on wedding.

As for how our wedding was:

The one thing that I was adamant about was great food that we didn't have to do anything for, so that wasn't an expense I was willing to compromise.

We asked family to help with paying for things rather than buying us gifts, so BILs paid for the cake, my parents paid for the reception, my dress and some other small things, ILs paid the bar tab and some other small things.

We hired a great photographer that hadn't yet built his reputation so paid 1/4 of what it would have cost for a professional photographer. This was only an option because the quality was there, I wouldn't have done it if I couldn't guarantee beautiful photos.

I bought lots of reception decorations on ebay, $2 type shops and on clearance at places like Target and did some diy. It was so much cheaper than hiring.

I only had one bridesmaid, which cut the bouquet bill.

I did my own makeup and helped my bm do hers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I used a wedding planning site (free), which had lists and spreadsheets that I could print off and put into a folder. We were lucky in that we already knew what we wanted, it was just matter of booking a venue that suited us and the budget, then deciding on smaller details like decorations, colours etc.

The biggest thing I found helped was look at where you want the money to go and whats important to you. For us, we weren't bothered by decorations, the cake, flowers etc- we knew the sort of thing we wanted but we were able to go with more low cost options. One thing that WAS important to us was having a good photographer and so we were willing to spend the extra to have the best we could get.

I did all our planning and booking and most purchasing (except my dress and dh's suit) online. And my bridesmaid dress cost all of about $30 and looked absolutely stunning. She paid for it so we agreed on a colour together and then she had free reign of the style. We ended up going to spotlight and looked through the dress patterns there and she fell in love with a greacian (sp?) Style. Then had it made in vietnam while on holiday. Everyone commented on how gorgeous it was and a few asked where could they find one... they were shocked when we said it was a 'home made' one lol.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    We spent around $7000 on our wedding back in 2007. The biggest expenses were the food and the photographer, but these were 2 things I didn't want to skimp on. So we cut down on costs on other areas.

We had the ceremony in the park, and reception at my aunts house (she has a beautiful outdoor entertaining area). Did finger food and platters using the restaurant my sister was working at (so they gave us a great deal with wait staff and chef coming to the house). Bridesmaids dressed were off the rack from a regular clothing store, boys didn't wear suits just a dress shirt and pants.

Kept guest list small, shopped around for best price on hair and make up. Used friends cars as wedding cars (mustang and a gto) instead of spending a fortune on hiring wedding cars.

Lots of things you can do to keep coats down and still have a beautiful day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Simple- small wedding $60-$100 head plus alcohol adds up quick