There has been 11 baby cot recalls so far this year! This is very concerning because people are being misled that cots meet Australian Standards, when they actually don't.
I've checked online, and there is some information about the Aus Standards, but nothing that I find which I am happy with.
I wonder if there would be interest in a video series to help parents easily verify if a cot meets the standards - especially for the cheaper cots found on ebay/gumtree etc.
Things I could cover:
- Sizes/dimensions and what to check
- Type of materials used - what to look for
- Dropsides - if you want a dropside cot, things to look for
- Paints - what does non toxic paint actually mean? What are VOC's etc?
- Mattress base levels - what are the requirements?
- Labeling Requirements - This one actually is a very easy one to check if the cot is likely to meet standards. Labeling Requirements are very easy for the manufacturer to get right - if they actually are complying with the standards. If their labeling is wrong or missing information, likely they aren't meeting the standards.
You can purchase the 2013 Standards online - a PDF copy is around $120 or so, but it is very technical. I could break this down to a video series and make it easy for parents.
Many online sellers say - yep our cots comply. Clearly a lot of them don't as can be seen by the recalls. Parents are unsuspecting, then they are forced to stop using a cot and get a new one which is a massive hassle.
Am I on the right track - or is my thinking completely wrong?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 1 of 1
17-09-2014 10:04 #1Member
- Join Date
- Aug 2014
How to 'guide' or Video Series - Australian Standards for baby cots
By bhjules in forum Games & fun stuffReplies: 0Last Post: 08-03-2014, 21:19
Baby Car Seats and Infant Car RestraintsBuying a baby car seat? Check out our 'go-to' links here!
LATESTWhy it is OK for your child to be differentWhat is a blessing way? How is it different to a baby shower?7 ways to break the ‘mumnotony’ at home
POPULARWhen can I start giving chores to my children?New baby nursery checklist – a guide to newborn essentialsWhat to pack for labour and hospital – a checklist
FORUMS - chatting now ...
April/May TTC group chatConception & Fertility General Chat
Miracle March TTC and Testing ChatConception & Fertility General Chat
Feeding a 9 month oldGeneral Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
Married At First Sight 2017Movies / Music / Books / TV Chat
Dr Antony Lighten - Appreciation threadpregnancy and babies through IVF
Fulfilling our BabydreamsEgg Donation
Using home equityFamily Finances
Inheritance WWYDGeneral Chat