+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Qrazelna View Post
    Wow at all these answers!! It's never even crossed my mind to spend big bucks on their presents for a multitude of reasons. 1- can't afford it (how do I find $600 for a birthday present) and 2- it feels unnecessary to me. Not bashing the people on here who are - all power to you but I've never dreamt of such a thing! In the end it's not really about the price tag but whether or not the child will enjoy it.
    I save up and put $50-$100 away each fortnight.

They don't get anything from anyone else at all. Not even one small present from a grandparent. They are also older and they need things like ipads and laptops for school.
    Last edited by Maxwell's Silver Hammer; 18-09-2014 at 07:46.

Eco Goddess is offline Loving life under the Bodhi tree!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We try not to buy a lot or spend a lot. Usually they get a few things up to around the $100 mark.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Qrazelna View Post
    Wow at all these answers!! It's never even crossed my mind to spend big bucks on their presents for a multitude of reasons. 1- can't afford it (how do I find $600 for a birthday present) and 2- it feels unnecessary to me. Not bashing the people on here who are - all power to you but I've never dreamt of such a thing! In the end it's not really about the price tag but whether or not the child will enjoy it.
    Last year my oldest child got a $600 pushbike for her birthday. This year we would have spent around $400 on our middle child's birthday present as we went to a theme park as a family, had food and travel expenses.

The cost isn't an issue for us really...I just don't want to fill our house with any more toys, but they know that they get to do an extra special activity for their birthday, it's something special, and something we can't ordinarily afford to do. Ye we could make it cheaper by just having one parent take the birthday child, and if we couldn't afford to do it any other way then that's what we'd do...but while we can afford for everyone to do it, then we will do it...the birthday kid gets to pick the activity of their choice, and if it's a theme park type thing then they get to pick the first and last ride of the day.

It definitely gets more expensive as they get older....we are still avoiding the electronics side of things, but my oldest daughter's Santa wish list is about $500 for three things. Given she has been wanting these things since Jan, and has ever so patiently waited for Christmas to roll around to get them, still never losing interest in them, we will be forking out the big bucks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD's 2 in a week. So far, my main thoughts with regard to presents are:
    -will be used
    -good quality/will last
    -not go overboard

Last year we spent under $50, on things like a backpack, wooden blocks, slippers.
    This year we've spent more like $80 on lots of little things. Schleich animals we got at cost price; DD's first pillow; dress up clothes from op shops; a book.
    As she gets older, I want to stick to those basic principles.. things that will get used (not filling the house with junk), and not going overboard. We'll see how we go

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (18-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow, this thread has opened my mind!!!

We've started a tradition where DD gets one present we make and one 'experience' We've made a cubby house, go-kart, dolls house and she's also been given annual passes to the museum, zoo and planetarium.

She's only 3, so when she grows up this is a tradition she might like to change

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaNurture For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (18-09-2014)