+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 142
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,804
    Thanks
    7,291
    Thanked
    9,742
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    Also, this is me being precious I’m sure, but I haven’t slept in weeks so I’m blaming that.

    There are some posters who are trying to be helpful with their input, but by constantly quoting WHO guidelines and repeating BF is optimal, it’s almost as bad as someone coming in and saying “you’re a bad mum for FF!”. Not quite as bad, but almost. We GET it! It doesn’t need to be repeated in every thread in the bottlefeeding support section.
    I was going to reply to another poster but saw this so wont. The only reason I mentioned the WHO code was because PP's asked why formula can't be advertised. Also, saying bf is optimal is not calling you a bad mother for ff. I have given both my kids formula, one exclusively from a few days old. I don't think anyone is a bad mother for formula feeding. Formula is the next best thing to breast milk, even the WHO acknowledges that.
    Last edited by Atropos; 04-09-2014 at 15:12.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    803
    Thanks
    247
    Thanked
    781
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    Also, this is me being precious I’m sure, but I haven’t slept in weeks so I’m blaming that.

    There are some posters who are trying to be helpful with their input, but by constantly quoting WHO guidelines and repeating BF is optimal, it’s almost as bad as someone coming in and saying “you’re a bad mum for FF!”. Not quite as bad, but almost. We GET it! It doesn’t need to be repeated in every thread in the bottlefeeding support section.
    I was thinking the same thing and I'm a breastfeeder. Not necessary to keep pulling it out, especially in this section.

    To the OP, I think there is a quite alot to be desired of our public health system which could help lower PND rates. I've been lucky to have a positive bfing relationship but my experience in the hospital made it blatantly obvious why many people get ff guilt and also why bfing rates are not as high as the government wants them. The LC was obviously very very busy and did not have enough time to help with all problems and probably not trained in all possible issues and the midwives were generally inadequate to provide support. Advice is different and there wasn't alot of reassurance. Alot of "yeah it hurts and will for a while" - essentially saying to suck it up and not help with any solutions. No one should be made guilty if they FF, especially not made to feel guilty by the same health professionals who couldn't help with bfing.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heids89 For This Useful Post:

    Anjalee  (04-09-2014),heartstringz  (04-09-2014)

  4. #103
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,804
    Thanks
    7,291
    Thanked
    9,742
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heids89 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing and I'm a breastfeeder. Not necessary to keep pulling it out, especially in this section.

    To the OP, I think there is a quite alot to be desired of our public health system which could help lower PND rates. I've been lucky to have a positive bfing relationship but my experience in the hospital made it blatantly obvious why many people get ff guilt and also why bfing rates are not as high as the government wants them. The LC was obviously very very busy and did not have enough time to help with all problems and probably not trained in all possible issues and the midwives were generally inadequate to provide support. Advice is different and there wasn't alot of reassurance. Alot of "yeah it hurts and will for a while" - essentially saying to suck it up and not help with any solutions. No one should be made guilty if they FF, especially not made to feel guilty by the same health professionals who couldn't help with bfing.
    Yeah well, I'm a breastfeeder and a bottle feeder and I "pulled it out" to answer a question. Yes, this is the bottle feeding section. That doesn't mean the WHO doesn't exist or shouldn't be mentioned. Well, that's what I thought, anyway.

  5. #104
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,789
    Thanks
    1,216
    Thanked
    2,137
    Reviews
    15
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Yeah well, I'm a breastfeeder and a bottle feeder and I "pulled it out" to answer a question. Yes, this is the bottle feeding section. That doesn't mean the WHO doesn't exist or shouldn't be mentioned. Well, that's what I thought, anyway.
    We're not allowed to discuss vaccination stats in the antivaxx section..

  6. #105
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,789
    Thanks
    1,216
    Thanked
    2,137
    Reviews
    15
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry @Atropos it seems like I'm having a go at you but I'm not trying to. You are an amazingly helpful poster on BH.

    I just feel like, in this section a lot of us who are posting are still really struggling with our feeding journey. So when the positives of BF are posted it feels like a slap in the face sometimes. Like I said in my first post, I'm probably being precious but I'm also conscious of how upsetting the topic is to me, I don't want to see others feeling the same way.

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (04-09-2014),beebs  (04-09-2014),peanutmonkey  (04-09-2014)

  8. #106
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7,054
    Thanks
    6,267
    Thanked
    5,482
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    If formula was to be subsidised it would have to be universal. No one wants to have to go to a GP and explain why they need formula. Wasn't that floated by someone at some stage and there was an outcry?
    Specialized formulas are subsidised if you can prove they are necessary, this is fair enough in my opinion because the lactose free and allergy formulas are more expensive but I think it needs to be easier to access in the public system. I have a friend who had a bub with less severe symptoms than my DS3 but because we couldnt get an emergency appt with the private paed we had to jump through all these hoops, and she didnt her bub got preacribed the neocate on the 2nd appt.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  9. #107
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,486
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,006
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Is formula GST exempt?

  10. #108
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    23,246
    Thanks
    6,367
    Thanked
    17,670
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I actually don't have an issue with saying it's optimal, although I'd add in *generally* optimal. What I despise is the formula bashing and the covert self righteousness. I haven't seen that from anyone in this thread.

    But then I'm at a stage of acceptance, ask me this 2 years ago and I would have bristled about the word optimal being used at all.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (04-09-2014),beebs  (04-09-2014)

  12. #109
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,789
    Thanks
    1,216
    Thanked
    2,137
    Reviews
    15
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Is formula GST exempt?
    Yeah along with baby food

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

    Sonja  (04-09-2014)

  14. #110
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    23,246
    Thanks
    6,367
    Thanked
    17,670
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    So off on a bit of a tangent.... but I noticed no Heinz Nurture on the woolies shelves and remember something going on with supply?

    I am planning to give bfing another go with this bean but am also preparing and being at total peace with using formula again and I like Heinz the best of all of them. Where has it gone??


 

Similar Threads

  1. Suddenly a formula feeding mum!
    By MilkingMaid in forum Pets
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-08-2014, 11:19
  2. Formula feeding and constipation
    By Wally90 in forum Mixed Breast & Bottle Feeding Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 31-12-2013, 18:24
  3. Who does formula feed with breast feeding?
    By chan87 in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-11-2013, 06:51

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Shapland Swim SchoolsSemi private learn to swim classes for a maximum of 3 children in specialized heated teaching pools. Our swim schools ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›