+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    452
    Thanks
    606
    Thanked
    222
    Reviews
    0

    Default Opinions please!

    After a visit to the GP today, the Dr advised that DD has a 'Post Viral Cough' that could last up to 3 months. She has suggested that I manage this with Manuka Honey.

    DD is 14 months old and has never had any honey (regular or Manuka).

    What are your thoughts about this? Have you given this to your LO?

    Dr has suggested a small amount morning and night along with warm water to drink and steamy baths.

    She currently has a humidifier on in her room while she sleeps. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,245
    Thanks
    762
    Thanked
    783
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I starting giving Ds honey (on Weetbix etc) straight after 12m

    Have you thought about an asthma pump (preventer and ventolin (sp) via a spacer?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,220
    Thanks
    1,254
    Thanked
    1,085
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That manuka honey is expensive

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,805
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There is some evidence to suggest it can help coughs in children (not a lot, but a little bit) http://www.abc.net.au/health/talking...08/3820892.htm It's pretty expensive though. I know a lot of people swear by prospan, which is a herbal remedy you can get at the chemist that is safe for babies. They claim there is studies to prove it's effectiveness. I'm not sure how robust they are though.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

    MsViking  (26-08-2014)

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3,269
    Thanks
    326
    Thanked
    990
    Reviews
    13
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I thought honey was ok after 12 months

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Adelaide SA
    Posts
    4,843
    Thanks
    716
    Thanked
    733
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hmmm. I would be hesitant.
    I know Manuka honey has antibacterial
    Properties but I thought it was more for topical use on wounds.

    There has been research that honey drunk with tea or warm water (I guess) helps with coughs. Never heard it specifically needed to be Manuka though.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,805
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moongazer View Post
    Hmmm. I would be hesitant.
    I know Manuka honey has antibacterial
    Properties but I thought it was more for topical use on wounds.

    There has been research that honey drunk with tea or warm water (I guess) helps with coughs. Never heard it specifically needed to be Manuka though.
    Read the link I posted above

    Manuka specifically has been shown to have anti microbial properties in vitro but the research on use in humans is limited, from memory.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7,053
    Thanks
    6,263
    Thanked
    5,481
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    There is some evidence to suggest it can help coughs in children (not a lot, but a little bit) http://www.abc.net.au/health/talking...08/3820892.htm It's pretty expensive though. I know a lot of people swear by prospan, which is a herbal remedy you can get at the chemist that is safe for babies. They claim there is studies to prove it's effectiveness. I'm not sure how robust they are though.
    I thougjt the prospan was only for over 2's? Thats what the pharmacist told me when I tried to get something to help DS3 who is 14 months...

    The honey thing is an issue in under 12 months due to botulism and a young baby not being able to fight it. I have given my sons honey once they're 12 months old.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,805
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    I thougjt the prospan was only for over 2's? Thats what the pharmacist told me when I tried to get something to help DS3 who is 14 months...

    The honey thing is an issue in under 12 months due to botulism and a young baby not being able to fight it. I have given my sons honey once they're 12 months old.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    http://biorevive.com/product/prospan-infant-drops-2/

    Can definitely be used for under 2's- I've tried it on DD under pharmacist's advice several times and she's 23 months. The first time she'd have been 14 months I think.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

    peanutmonkey  (25-08-2014)

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    in a wormhole
    Posts
    2,770
    Thanks
    4,604
    Thanked
    2,813
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I give my kids manuka honey with a little cinnamon in warm water - we call it honey tea and it certainly helps them with the pesky post viral cough. It's not magic, but it does soothe the throat and helps ease the cough.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

    JAG242  (25-08-2014)


 

Similar Threads

  1. boy name opinions
    By momoftwo2 in forum Choosing Baby Names
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 15-07-2014, 15:55
  2. Need opinions
    By Jane91 in forum Should we have another baby?
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 29-05-2014, 11:42
  3. boy name opinions please!
    By mummaHT in forum Choosing Baby Names
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 16-04-2014, 00:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Baby Car Seats and Infant Car RestraintsBuying a baby car seat? Check out our 'go-to' links here!
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Situations - ok or not ok?General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
IVF babies due March/April/May 2017#2pregnancy and babies through IVF
What are our chances??pregnancy and babies through IVF
Miracle March TTC and Testing ChatConception & Fertility General Chat
Food supplements for kidsGeneral Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
REVIEWS
"Pigeon teats rule!"
by Alex
Pigeon PP Wide Neck reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›