+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sairz View Post
    A chicken coop will be the next project once I've done the veggie garden. Another salvage of an existing area, it used to be a dog pen I think, this will be the housing area and will add a run onto it (it's in shambles right now but structurally it's good) Attachment 61071
    That'll look good with some new wire on it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Beebs that Taj Mahal looks great! Not a bad price either really. Kids will LOVE it!

Sairz I think it's so great that you're using what is there. That will come up a treat. How big will your run be? How many chooks are you thinking?

I'll post a photo of mine later. It's just an old garden shed that we added nesting boxes to. We haven't built the run yet so we don't have chooks yet. We are going to do two big runs side by side along the back of our shearing shed. That way we can rest one, plant it out with feed etc then swap. We can also use one for a dog run if we are away for the weekend and need to put the dog away. Or we could separate ducks and chooks or whatever. We will start with a dozen chooks and see how many eggs are in demand, we'll probably go more. (Friends and workmates are crying out for eggs in our small town!) So I think we'll sell some for cash to buy feed.

The lady across the road from our farm used to put them on the side of the road in an honesty system and sold SO many! Cars would stop constantly. I'm not sure how much this is possible without it being a proper business but I know many people do it so there must be a rule that a certain amount of earning is okay. I'll have to find out.

Anyway, we also want to build frames to fit over our veggie beds for a few chooks at a time in empty beds as a "chook tractor".

Foxes will be a big problem here. I think we'll roof the chook runs with wire also.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hurry up veggie patch!! It's still not ready and I have all these seedlings ready to go!!

Attached Images

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NAT2561 For This Useful Post:

Sairz  (02-10-2014),TheTimeHasCome  (12-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone still on here...?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Still here. DH is still making raised bed veggie patch. It's taken a few weeks because it's hard work getting the blocks level and lifting them into place.

Has anyone grown watermelon? Any tips?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm still here. Nothing happening at my place. We've had no rain so we're watching the crops fail

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    I'm still here. Nothing happening at my place. We've had no rain so we're watching the crops fail

Hopefully the season turns around for you really soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by clbj View Post

Hopefully the season turns around for you really soon.
    Unfortunately it's too late for rain to help now. We had a great start but the rain hasn't continued. Harvest will start in about a month, will probably be a quick one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Still waiting to buy the wood I need to make the garden bed, have been preoccupied but can't wait to start. I have dug up and prepared the ground, had to dig up a heap of old bricks underneath
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1413094973.392042.jpg
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1413095000.703833.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great to see we're all still ticking along.

Amyd I'm sorry to read that your rainfall hasn't been sufficient this year. The stress of farming is very different to we hobby farmers. Do you have stock also?

Sairz, your spot is looking great! What a lot of work you've done. I really look fwd to seeing how it comes together.

Clbj, I haven't grown watermelons but hope someone can help because I'd like to in the future. The kids would love it!

Well I planted my beds out today. I've grown everything from seed and have direct sown some of the veg and herbs too. Its a bit hard to see in the pic but the beds are full. I've put in: corn, zucchini, 3 types of tomato, carrots, parsnip, leeks, silverbeet, beetroot, spinach, capsicum, snow peas, sugar snap peas, beans, cos lettuce and a heap of herbs. A big day planting!1413096176123.jpg

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NAT2561 For This Useful Post:

almai  (08-11-2014),TheTimeHasCome  (12-10-2014)