+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Lost a twin

My best friend rang this morning to tell me she went for a scan and there were 2 sacs but only one heartbeat. She seems to be doing ok at the moment (kept saying she was so grateful there was still one very healthy baby), but not sure if she has really processed it yet or if she really is ok. She is very much an optimist.

Has anyone been through this? How do I support her?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes, me. Acknowledge the lost baby but celebrate the one that's still there. It was really confusing tbh, I was devastated but happy at the same time. Hearing about other people with twin pregnancies was and to a certain extent is still hard.

My FS said it's actually rather common, we just didn't know about it before early scans became the norm.

My baby is now 9 months old, the 'vanishing twin' didn't cause any problems - when I had a CS they found the 'remains' on/ in the placenta... There is a school of thought that the lost twin may help support the other one (through keeping hcg levels higher) in early pregnancy and so your friend might find it helpful to think about that.

Sorry this is all a mishmash of information... Nothing very useful to say I'm afraid, it's a weird situation to be in. Just ask your friend how she's feeling...