+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Ted View Post
    Just googled the info and can't see the old rule that I mentioned applying anymore. Here is the info page:

http://www.tenants.org.au/factsheet-04-rent-increases
    Thank you! I read that page earlier, we really wouldn't go to tribunal with it.

I was just curious to see what some people with experience though and if it's worth even attempting to negotiate or if I should just suck it up. This is the first time we have rented in a long time and it's a means to an end, the increase is only about $1400 over the remaining time we plan to be here, so it's hardly a fortune (although it's $1400 I'd rather keep to myself!). I've sent the agent an email asking if they will meet half way, the danger now is they say no and I have to tell dh we have to move :scared:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I work in real estate. Increases are at market value for residential real estate so it's not about the amount but rather what comparable properties are renting at. If you were paying under market value then the owner is within their right to increase if to something more in line with current rents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    I work in real estate. Increases are at market value for residential real estate so it's not about the amount but rather what comparable properties are renting at. If you were paying under market value then the owner is within their right to increase if to something more in line with current rents.
    Thanks for your reply; that sounds fair enough. I genuinely don't think we are paying under market, we have only been here a year. What makes less sense is that if we leave and it's empty for a week and he has to pay a one week let fee he is no better off that having us continue at the existing amount.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Double post!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    In my experience any rent increase over $20 the tenant will win at tribunal, $20 or under as long as it's in line with comparable rents they will allow - we never recommend a rental increase of more than $20 for that reason
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 24-06-2014 at 20:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    In my experience any rent increase over $20 the tenant will win at tribunal, $20 or under as long as it's in line with comparable rents they will allow - we never recommend a rental increase of more than $20 for that reason
    Thanks. Out of curiosity, if on a month-to-month contract what is the point in going to tribunal? If we won wouldn't the landlord just give us notice anyway?

I don't particularly want to cause any drama and I also really don't want to move! It's just seems like a big hike when a month ago they said they wouldn't increase the rent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yeah if your not staying long term it is a bit pointless but still try negotiate - if your only staying another six months ( less the 60 days notice it's only really 4 months extra) the stress and drama and expense on moving will be worth more than the extra $800 rent increase in that time ( less hopefully if you negotiate)
    I would just put in writing you think $50 is excessive but you would be prepared to pay $20 or $25

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Yeah if your not staying long term it is a bit pointless but still try negotiate - if your only staying another six months ( less the 60 days notice it's only really 4 months extra) the stress and drama and expense on moving will be worth more than the extra $800 rent increase in that time ( less hopefully if you negotiate)
    I would just put in writing you think $50 is excessive but you would be prepared to pay $20 or $25
    Thanks, that's exactly what I've done. Will see what they say.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the replies ladies, our landlord agreed to a $25 increase. Much happier

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GlasgowRose For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (25-06-2014),TheGooch  (25-06-2014)