I'm seriously considering this. My ds would need 2 doses. I think it's well worth the $250 for peace of mind, but I think it should be put on the schedule. Anyone done it yet or considering it?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 37
16-06-2014 12:01 #1
Will you get the meningococcal B vaccine for your child?
The Following User Says Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:
16-06-2014 12:24 #2Senior Member
- Join Date
- Nov 2011
I haven't done it yet but my doctor has ordered the vaccine for my girls, just waiting for it to come in!
As soon as I heard about it, I discussed with my GP who is 100% for it too, his kids have already been done. I brought it up with a family member the other week (who is pro vaccine) and she is of the thought "if it's not on the schedule don't bother" which makes me wonder if a lot of people will look at it this way? Especially given the cost.
For those who are doing it, my GP said some health funds do cover it (depending on your level of cover) so worth looking into it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:
16-06-2014 12:33 #3
I hadn't heard of this, thanks for posting. It should be on the schedule really! Shame that only those who can afford it will be able to get it. Would be well worth it if it prevents a terrible illness. But the cost will prevent many kids accessing it.
I'm trying to remember if my first child had this one done in the UK where he lived til 10 months old, will check his book! Dd will definitely need it if I can find the money
16-06-2014 12:33 #4
Hmm... I WANT to, but I don't know that we will due to the cost. Still considering.
There are a few other vaccines I'd like to get, for us and for DD. One is the flu vaccine yearly (I get this for work), and there was another which I've forgotten now. I wish they were on the schedule so that I didn't have to make the decision based on cost.
16-06-2014 13:09 #5
I would love to get it for my girls, I might have to wait for the price to go down or for it to get added to the schedule
16-06-2014 18:13 #6
Heard on the news tonight that a 2 yo died of it yesterday and there is an outbreak at Duntroon (I live in Canberra). Really want to get it done now because now I know about it if anything happened I would never forgive myself. Money is a big factor yes, it's tough, but again I would never forgive myself for basing the decision on money if the worst happened. DH said just get it done. 2 kids, 4 doses= $500
16-06-2014 18:20 #7
Yep will ring doctors tomorrow
16-06-2014 18:36 #8
16-06-2014 18:42 #9
The cost is going to be a huge determining factor for so many people it's really sad.
16-06-2014 18:47 #10
Would love to get it done but cannot afford it for both kids .
I might use my tax (if I get any back) for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to sandy cheeks For This Useful Post:
By nicole83 in forum Pro-VaccinationReplies: 25Last Post: 17-09-2014, 16:31
By beebs in forum Pro-VaccinationReplies: 14Last Post: 06-03-2014, 07:05
Swim AustraliaSwim Australia are the leading learn-to-swim experts, and national swim school authority. With over 600 Registered Swim ...
LATESTToilet training: when is the best time to start?Why it is OK for your child to be differentWhat is a blessing way? How is it different to a baby shower?
POPULARWhen can I start giving chores to my children?New baby nursery checklist – a guide to newborn essentialsWhat to pack for labour and hospital – a checklist
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Cashless society - all for it, or disagree?General Chat
Difficulty timing BDConception & Fertility General Chat
WOW what a shockWorking Hubbers - Employed
Egg/donor code discussion - South AfricaEgg Donation
Really fast letdown causing vomiting?Breastfeeding Support
Dates off and hcg slowly doublingFirst Trimester Chat
Egg Donation in Greece #5Egg Donation