My SIL gas just made a dash visit after chatting with her prin this evening.
Just quietly there are two jobs going at her school and they are extremely unhappy with the applicants. Cue my name being thrown into the mix.
One is a 6 month job, the other a one month job.
Dd will be 11 months at the commencement. She us still breastfed and a highly attached baby - many joke she is a baby koala because she is always on my hip.
I'm very torn. I love teaching but I don't know if I could leave dd so young.
Thinking of the pros and cons...
Extra money would take stress of df, move forward buying our own house and planning a wedding.
Foot in the door of the school my sons attend. Highly convenient.
Money. This is a huge pro for me. Cannot be stressed enough!
More social interaction.
Leaving a highly attached baby cold turkey
Finding childcare. I can already foresee what a headache it will be.
A lot of my wage will go to cc.
I wanted to ease back into work with casual teaching first.
An opportunity to so easily step into a job may not come up again so soon.
And again, dd. she really is my main concern. I'm feeling sad already- I don't think I am ready to leave her yet.
Working full time with three kids. I barely keep up with the house as it is.
So keeping the pros and cons in mind, what would you do?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 25
12-06-2014 17:18 #1
12-06-2014 17:35 #2
I would not take it and wait til your DD is a little older and a bit less attached.
Unless you really extremely need the money you would earn (after cc) but if you can be patient for the house/wedding then I'd wait.
Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:
12-06-2014 17:40 #3
Do any of the school staff know of nearby reputable child care? You might be lucky and stumble onto an informal and inexpensive arrangement used by a few of the teachers.....depending on the timetabling and if the location is close you could pop in.
How approachable is the principal? Have they got any ideas about how to make a good work/life balance for you?
12-06-2014 17:41 #4
When did you ideally want to go back? I'd probably be the same as pp , if a big part of your wage went to cc and you would be stressed over leaving your DD then it just wouldn't be worth it to me
12-06-2014 17:43 #5-
- Join Date
- Jul 2013
I would go for it. This could be the start of getting your career back and how awesome would it be to get extended at your children's school? These chances do not come up every day and is not something to turn down lightly.
Yes children are only babies once, but there is the next 17 years of your daughter's childhood that you need to provide for and how would you feel if quite a few of them were overshadowed by financial stresses?
I am pregnant and i will be returning when my child is 6 weeks old due to financial pressures and walking into a good job which will transition into my dream job at the end of my degree. I have 3 children to feed and clothe and that comes before my want to stay at home.
Also if Abbott's budget comes in, then the job market is going to be over saturated with parents going back to work and you may not get into the job market without a lot more competition for even a lesser position.
Last edited by Maxwell's Silver Hammer; 12-06-2014 at 17:47.
12-06-2014 17:44 #6
I'd probably take one of the positions if they were offered. My sister is a teacher and from what I understand obtaining a teaching position can be very difficult.
The Following User Says Thank You to cluckcluck For This Useful Post:
Maxwell's Silver Hammer (12-06-2014)
12-06-2014 17:45 #7
I wouldn't personally. They are little for such a short period and teaching jobs are usually going regularly in country areas (you are rural right?)
12-06-2014 17:49 #8
I wouldn't do it. Hats off to those that do, but i couldn't imagine leaving DD2.
They are little for such a short time.
12-06-2014 17:59 #9
I wouldn't take it. They are only little for such a short amount of time.
12-06-2014 18:06 #10
Thanks for the replies.
At this stage I am thinking I won't, but never say never, right?
I am rural, so yes I do expect vacancies will be advertised starting around oct/ Nov for next year. By then dd will be 18 months and that is around the same age my boys were when I dipped my toes back into the workforce.
We aren't desperate for money- we get by fairly well and we haven't had to sacrifice much. But of course I want this wedding to happen and we both want a house as we are over renting and having close neighbours etc etc. acreages don't come cheap!
The more I think about it, the more inclined I am to say "thanks but not this time.. Call me for CRT"... ?
Little Kickers NSWLittle Kickers was launched in 2002 in the UK and arrived Down Under in 2009. Our motto is “Play not Push” and we ...
LATESTWhy it is OK for your child to be differentWhat is a blessing way? How is it different to a baby shower?7 ways to break the ‘mumnotony’ at home
POPULARWhen can I start giving chores to my children?New baby nursery checklist – a guide to newborn essentialsWhat to pack for labour and hospital – a checklist
FORUMS - chatting now ...
A - Z of Baby Boy NamesGames & fun stuff
A - Z of baby girl namesGames & fun stuff
The Not So Serious Vent Thread #7General Chat
Happiness thread.General Chat
What do you think is the best resource for new Mums?General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
IVF babies due March/April/May 2017#2pregnancy and babies through IVF
For those of you with babies and toddlers....General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
3 car seats, what car?General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
Egg Donation in Greece #5Egg Donation