+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey'sMummy View Post
    If Middlebrook Estate thought their staff were in the right, then why did they delete both their Facebook accounts & website after this mum complained? They are obviously trying to avoid the backlash because management know their staff were out of line.

Whether the venue should or shouldn't provide a place to express is irrelevant - bottom line the staff made comments about her, belittled her with regards to her wanting to express & that is discrimination under the sexual discrimination act....
    I agree that the staff were out of line with their rude comments and attitude. However I really don't see how it's discrimination! They offered her a place to express and it wasn't good enough for her. As a PP said, it may not be appropriate for a customer to use staff areas as they may contain staff belongings and other things that customers shouldn't have access to.

I agree that they probably deleted their FB to avoid the backlash, but I think it's because people go so crazy when anything even remotely linked to breastfeeding has a negative outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSurprise View Post
    Legally, she is 100% supported by the anti-discrimination act. I ran an event at a hotel where I had an expressing mother attend. The hotel were incredibly accommodating, and actually provided a hotel room for her to use during the day. Pumping mothers have the same rights as breast feeding mothers - she could have done it in the middle of the restaurant if she'd wanted to. Giving management a heads up would have been a good move, but at the end of the day, she's not in the wrong.
    They didn't tell her that she couldn't express though and offered her a corner in a room as that was the most privacy they could offer. It was a winery, not a hotel so they probably didn't have a spare room that was OK for customers to use.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (11-06-2014),bezzy  (11-06-2014),delirium  (12-06-2014),Jellyfishie  (11-06-2014),Purple Lily  (11-06-2014),Rutabaga  (12-06-2014),snowqu33n  (11-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep, the staff were rude but I also don't see why she couldn't pump and dump in the toilet? I went to a music festival when my DS was about 7 months (couldn't miss Blink 182 ☺️) and I pumped and dumped in the toilets. It wasn't the most fun ever, but I knew what I was getting myself in for when I left DS at home!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @JR03 what place did they offer?

I wouldn't pump and dump in the toilets TBH.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

ourbradybunch  (11-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What's wrong with pumping and dumping in the toilets? I've had friends do it on a (rare) night out. It just seems logical to me. The comments from the staff were rude though.. Not discrimination though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tbh she sounds very entitled. There are plenty of people who need access to private space when in public - ivf'ers or diabetics injecting, those with prosthetics, list goes on. They make do with the loo if there's nowhere else available - that is the private space a business is obligated to provide.

It's all just over the top really.

There was nothing stopping her from pumping in the restaurant, I can't imagine anybody caring beyond a cursory glance to see what she is doing. And any sink or patch of dirt is good enough to chuck breast milk down.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grumpybump For This Useful Post:

Gracie's Mum  (11-06-2014),lilypily  (11-06-2014),Mod-Myztik  (12-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    She sounds very entitled, and I can imagine how she got their back up, although the staff should have refrained from making any comments like TMI.

So many people are like this... It's a shame.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rude staff - yes

Blown out of proportion - possibly

Discrimination - hardly

Where I work(ed) there's no way you would be allowed into a staff only area. It is even classed as a bf friendly environment but there is no private spaces to do so. You can just do it anywhere without being told otherwise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Given the described comments and staff attitude she was discriminated against.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If she were a member of staff, her employer would have been legally obliged to provide her somewhere to express in private (and toilets ARE NOT legally acceptable). How is it a stretch to think your customers might need the same? Especially if you have thousands of visitors each year.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigSurprise For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (12-06-2014),TreeGirl  (11-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The comments from staff were out of line, but beyond that I don't see an issue.

I spent 7 weeks carrying a breast pump in my handbag and it wasn't so I could get tanked at a winery.
    I always thought about where I could express before I left the house and whether I would be able to store the milk.
    I used the toilet to pump on occasion, poured the milk down the sink and rinsed the pump. If I wasn't comfortable with that I would have phoned the venue in advance and asked if there was somewhere more appropriate and if the answer was no, I wouldn't have gone.

The same goes for breastfeeding. I was comfortable to breastfeed in the presence of anyone, but if I wasn't I would have phoned and decided upon the answer.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

delirium  (12-06-2014),HippyGirl85  (11-06-2014),Mod-Degrassi  (11-06-2014),mrsboyts  (18-06-2014)