+ Reply to Thread
    BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Question The Federal Budget v The Single Mum - by Izy

The Federal Budget v The Single Mum

a great analysis by @Izy of how the budget will affect single mums.

So - now that we have had some time to digest the budget, and work out some of the details

How will the budget affect you?

Are you for or against the majority of the measures?

What would you do differently?

(and please remember, there are a number of people who this will affect substantially, so be aware and sensitive towards others when posting opinions)

And thanks Izy for a great article.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx (05-06-2014),Izy (05-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thanks Julie. I think my opinion is fairly clear

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    so you are for the changes then Izy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Absolutely. Those pesky people below the poverty line SHOULD be paying the medicare levy! They've been too generous to increase the threshold!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the article was overly simplistic and a little misleading as there were aspects of it I felt were not quite accurate.

Single mums and special needs mums will be affected but so will other elements of society which I feel are just as worthy of mention.

I think it also prudent to point out that certain elements of the budget proposals, (such as the GP fee for example) exempt people who have a Health Care Card/are in receipt of benefits. Assessments for Autism et al can be carried out for free through the hospital system and on average (in SA) garner an 8 month wait. (They're $500-$1000 + if you go private).

From what I have read of the govt's proposed budget, I understand the following may happen:

Seniors will be slammed by the scrapping of their supplement, will be subject to tougher rules in qualifying for pensions and will have tax changes that will make life harder for them.

Those on disability pensions will be reassessed and those who are recategorised will be made to participate in work for the dole schemes and other useless compulsory programmes such as job clubs. In addition, they can only remain out of the country for four weeks after which they'll be cut off. Too bad if you're overseas getting treatment because at this stage, this reason does not come under exemption rules.

Not all benefits are being frozen. Some will go on unaffected. However, those under 25 will not be allowed to apply for the dole..until they reach 25. I did not find clarity in the current proposals as to what the govt intends to do with this section of the community. I guess they expect them all to live at home with their parents.

Those under 30 will find it especially hard given that the current infrastructure does not support any meaningful, constructive ways to obtain employment, particularly for those in long term unemployment. And yet the govt will cut them off the dole for six months while they work for it.... Having supervised a WFD scheme for a community organisation some years ago, I can clearly see what's going to happen here and it's not going to be pretty. To be honest, I fear for this section of the community more than I do for single mums per se.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think the proposed changes are absurd. I don't mind tightening of the belt but be realistic. I think the government is looking to implement cuts that are of benefit to Australia and the people. How about we start cutting unnecessary costs- like politicians benefits- either while employed or leading into retirement. That would save the Australian government billions of dollars!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agreed mrs tickle. Anyone who is low income will be very significantly effected.

The $7 copay does not have provision for exemption though, and even if drs choose to absorb it in their expenses for hcc holders, they would still be responsible for $5 going towards the medical research fund under the current proposal.

The frightening thing I've just discovered is that the research funds will be privatised and are not certain to be Australian.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle (17-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Tickle View Post
    I think the article was overly simplistic and a little misleading as there were aspects of it I felt were not quite accurate.

Single mums and special needs mums will be affected but so will other elements of society which I feel are just as worthy of mention.

I think it also prudent to point out that certain elements of the budget proposals, (such as the GP fee for example) exempt people who have a Health Care Card/are in receipt of benefits. Assessments for Autism et al can be carried out for free through the hospital system and on average (in SA) garner an 8 month wait. (They're $500-$1000 + if you go private).

From what I have read of the govt's proposed budget, I understand the following may happen:

Seniors will be slammed by the scrapping of their supplement, will be subject to tougher rules in qualifying for pensions and will have tax changes that will make life harder for them.

Those on disability pensions will be reassessed and those who are recategorised will be made to participate in work for the dole schemes and other useless compulsory programmes such as job clubs. In addition, they can only remain out of the country for four weeks after which they'll be cut off. Too bad if you're overseas getting treatment because at this stage, this reason does not come under exemption rules.

Not all benefits are being frozen. Some will go on unaffected. However, those under 25 will not be allowed to apply for the dole..until they reach 25. I did not find clarity in the current proposals as to what the govt intends to do with this section of the community. I guess they expect them all to live at home with their parents.

Those under 30 will find it especially hard given that the current infrastructure does not support any meaningful, constructive ways to obtain employment, particularly for those in long term unemployment. And yet the govt will cut them off the dole for six months while they work for it.... Having supervised a WFD scheme for a community organisation some years ago, I can clearly see what's going to happen here and it's not going to be pretty. To be honest, I fear for this section of the community more than I do for single mums per se.
    it is scary what is happening in these sections too.

If you have some knowledge in this area, or a perspective on how this will affect people ... we would love for you to write about it.

Send me a pm if you would like to write an article

Izy was writing about Single Parents and Students as that is her perspective. I dont think she meant that other sectors of the community will not be hit as hard (or harder) ...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Izy (16-06-2014),Mrs Tickle (17-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I will be hit hard.
    -My youngest is almost 7 so I will lose FTB B.
    -I'm a uni student so will lose my PES and end up paying much more for my degree.
    -if the carbon tax is scrapped I'll lose my clean energy supplements.
    -I stand to lose concessions on electricity, rego, public transport, etc.
    -My youngest has an ASD diagnosis, I already pay between $180-$375 per session with his paed. This will no doubt rise.
    -DS2 and myself both take regular medication, the cost of this will rise.
    -the cost of running my car will increase.
    -I will have to seriously consider leaving my kids home alone for extended periods of time so I can pick up more work hours.

The budget changes will only be to my children's and my detriment. There is only so much you can cut back.

Ultimately, if these proposed changes are successful, the outcome for the most vunerable and disadvantaged members of society is extremely dire. This will no doubt have a devasting flow on effect, crippling our once thriving economy.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum (16-06-2014),Izy (16-06-2014)