+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How to turn someone into a team player?

I am captain of a soccer team and we have 2-3 girls that are very negative on the field to their other players. Often pointing out mistakes, flaws etc etc. It's really degrading and just kills us on the field. Both girls are in their teen years and both think they are themselves, the next Matilda. How do I tactfully tell them that we need to work as a team, and their comments are really not helping without them getting very defensive and it just all blowing up in my face?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Tough one! I think I would approach it by having a team discussion about everyone participating in spreading positive reinforcement rather than negative comments. You can reiterate how important it is for team morale to keep up the positive vibes, and that no one benefits from pointing out mistakes - it just brings down the whole energy of the team. So that way it sounds like a general team discussion rather than you singling out the offending girls and talking to them specifically. Do you ever sit around and talk tactics as a team? That would be the ideal time to put in a little pep talk about positive energy etc!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

SimplyMum  (04-06-2014)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    N/a
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 04-06-2014 at 09:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerKat View Post
    Tough one! I think I would approach it by having a team discussion about everyone participating in spreading positive reinforcement rather than negative comments. You can reiterate how important it is for team morale to keep up the positive vibes, and that no one benefits from pointing out mistakes - it just brings down the whole energy of the team. So that way it sounds like a general team discussion rather than you singling out the offending girls and talking to them specifically. Do you ever sit around and talk tactics as a team? That would be the ideal time to put in a little pep talk about positive energy etc!
    Thanks, I might try this as the pre-game pep talk.

The coach has addressed it previously, but it's now gotten to the stage where she is saying "if it doesn't stop, I'll put an end to it myself" which is basically saying "Stop it, otherwise your out". I'll try playing the inspirational card and see how I go.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I reckon, being an adult team, if these teenagers can't get themselves together, and realise what their attitude is doing to the team after being told point blank, then yep, tell them to find another team.

Hope your pep talk works..

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

SimplyMum  (04-06-2014),Smyles  (04-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would try the "pep" talk, if that doesn't work you may need to be a bit harsher.

You could say something along the lines of any negative behaviour/comments & they are sent off the field, point out that other teams notice the negative behaviour & view it as a weakness.