ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I agree I really loathe the assumption that male carers are looked at more suspiciously because they are male, but I come from a background where I have no reason to not trust a carer. There are many on this forum who do so I understand and respect that most centres limit the involvement of male carers around toileting, changing of girls so it doesn't become a nightmare for the centre trying to work out whether anything inappropriate occurred.
    I understand this but I wonder how a male who has been inappropriately touched by a female overcomes their issues with a female carer changing their son? I don't imagine there are enough male child care workers who work in early childhood to ensure there is one male each day per centre...just curious I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Last edited by moongazer; 01-06-2014 at 17:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not 100% sure but I think this is what might happen. The director will have a meeting with the male staff member and find out what happened and if there was anyone else in the room at the time. If there's been any other complaints or inappropriate behavior they will most likely determine the next step. If there are any clear indicators to suggest something has happened the director will contact DOCS because she/he is a mandatory reporter. But the director needs a lot of info about the incident before that happens because it's obviously very serious and children's statements can be easily misinterpreted. If after talking to the parents and numerous staff members and the director has nothing to indicate abuse has occured, they will resolve the matter within the service. The male staff member will then be watched more carefully no doubt.
    Most male child care workers are aware that they need to be extra careful when it comes to interacting and caring for children, and to their credit they understand why. Unfortunately it comes with the territory, and if I'm being completely honest I will admit that I do watch them closer than female staff. For their sake and the child's.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Koarlo For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (01-06-2014)