+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Anyone else here struggle to lose weight while BF? How do you lose weight?

So I plan to BF #2 for at least 9 months like i did DS (before i had to return back to work) or hopefully longer.. but one thing I am terrified of is the fact when i BF DS, I retained my weight from pregnancy. I put on a lot of weight whole pregnant (30 kilos!!) so yes that was ridiculous! But BF didn't help me lose any at all. In fact i was hungrier than when pregnant!!

I lost all the weight plus an extra 5 kilos by the time i feel preg with this one.... but now the weight is creeping on and I am starting to feel upset that once the baby is born, ill be massive and ill be BF and will remain over weight again for several months again.

My mother is in my ear all the time reminding me how much weight i put on so I am best not to BF at all. But i can't bring myself to putting my 'weight' before my baby .. this is the chance i have to set my bub up for their life. So fat or not, im gonna do it.

Is anyone else in the same boat at all? Everyone i know in real life boasts how BF helped them lose all their weight. But that doesn't happen for me at all. I finally started losing weight once i stopped BF.

Can anyone recommend any BF weight loss diets or anything so i can have it ready for when the time comes? I feel like i need a plan in place this time round.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not in the same boat as you as b'feeding helped me lose my pregnancy weight. Now while you definitely shouldn't diet in pregnancy or breastfeeding, perhaps you can consider calorie counting after pregnancy to help monitor your intake. I used the MyFitnessPal app to lose weight before my pregnancy, and when I reached my goal weight, I changed my parameters to 'maintain current weight'. That may help you postpartum achieve a slow steady weight reduction without compromising b'feeding.
    I applaud your commitment to the health of your kids.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Piyamj For This Useful Post:

Serenity Love  (29-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i lost some weight after baby, and also lost weight at around 9 months postpartum (twice) while continuing to breastfeed. So perhaps your body does a similar thing, and it was coincidentally at the same time as weaning?

Increasing protein intake helps when i get hungry from breastfeeding.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    i lost some weight after baby, and also lost weight at around 9 months postpartum (twice) while continuing to breastfeed. So perhaps your body does a similar thing, and it was coincidentally at the same time as weaning?

Increasing protein intake helps when i get hungry from breastfeeding.
    Yeah the way i lost majority of my weight in the end was by increasing my protein intake, and cutting carbs in the morning. I just worry that will effect my milk supply... a midwife told me its the carbs that make milk .. is that necessarily true? Because that theory is where i have gone wrong with retaining weight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ummm I am really far too simple with food to monitor carbs vs protein vs fats. I just eat what I want but make sure I don't go overboard with anything, and strive to have fruit and veg daily.

I don't think there's any link with carbs per se and milk. You just need adequate intake everyday and plenty of fluid to produce enough milk.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Piyamj For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I just wanted to sympathise with you. It's so unfair!! BF'ing stacked the weight on for me - DD was a perma feeder so doing nothing but sitting or laying down for 3-4 months at a time is not conducive to losing weight!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will be doing weight watchers after this baby (due about 4wks) as I am the same and struggle to lose weight whilst breastfeeding, maybe you could try that. They cater for breastfeeding and it's quite easy to follow, good luck x

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Aurora21 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep both times I was bigger whilst bf'ing whilst those around me raved about it falling off them. I fed my first for 6 months and the months following I lost kg without trying. 2nd for 10mo and same again. Frustrating isn't it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mmumm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry no advice, just sympathy. I am so hungry breastfeeding (had to take motilium which makes it worse!) and tried quite a few things this time but willpower gave out after a couple of days every time.

I've just stopped feeding my 10mo DS and I can already see that I am losing weight without really trying. I stopped feeding DD at 8 months and the same thing happened. I'd hoped as I fed for longer this time that loing weight would become easier as he got older, but disapointingly no. Losing weight has definitely been a big factor in deciding to stop breastfeeding now and there have been many, many times in the past 10 months when I've looked in the mirror and thought of stopping BFing to shift the fat.

Sticking at it for 10 months definitely meant putting baby before body.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Lose weight while breastfeeding what a crock! I plumped up while breastfeeding my first and I am still plump while breastfeeding my second. I think I trim down more when I run at least 3 times per week. But I'm not ready to run yet: want the all clear from the physio first. I ran too early last time, before my pelvic floor recovered and a long story short it stuffed my knee.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post: