+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    My kids aren't in school yet. However my sister who has a dd in school was saying they use the results to grade the kids in particular classes. Is this not true?
    I hope this isn't true. Not only is it unethical but it goes against any basic decent teaching and assessment practices.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Schools use the results to see where kids are at but it is certainly not the only thing used.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with pp - don't put too much importance on the Naplan tests. They are just a general test to show how the school is going and is more of a longitudinal thing to see if the chn are progressing. Of course, overall school results would be affected by factors such as demographic area, number of students with learning difficulties, ESL, etc. so even the school results need other factors to be taken into consideration.

If the children are properly taught the curriculum from kindergarten there should be no need for a last minute 'cram'. We used to go through the tests so that the kids were familiar with the question style and how to go about answering the questions, but we did this in-class.

As a teacher, I found it good when the Basic Skills Test was in Term 3 though as most 'gaps' could be learnt by then. We had a year 2 teacher (who is now resigned from teaching thank goodness) who was not very good and I was always worried about the lack of learning those students had compared to the other class and found one term not quite enough for those students to catch up. I was even more aghast when going back to a casual day on year 4 years later and for them to only tell me that the structure of a narrative was for it to have "a beginning, a middle and an end".

Has your daughter not covered fractions at all in her 3 previous years of schooling? It is in the maths curriculum in all three years. If maths topics at your school are covered twice each throughout the year she may not have done it yet for this semester.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Ted For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (27-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD did the year 3 Naplan test last year. I wasn't stressed but she did a little.

Her biggest worry was sitting and doing it straight for the whole set time. We stressed to her to just do what she could and not to worry and they put too much into the tests and that she's not expected to get to the end of the test in the time.

You can get free sample Naplan tests off the internet (www.nap.edeu.au). It gives you the proper layout and time allocated for each different test. Print a couple out and give them to her so she can practice sitting and doing the test for the time period.

Please stress to her not to worry. She will make herself sick.

My understanding is the school uses the results as the markers on the myschools website. You will receive a report of her results late term 3/term 4 (from memory). It is supposed to be on work they've already learned up to year 2, but there are things on the test that they hadn't taught yet.

DD is in year 4 now and the school is going over and re-teaching items from the tests that a lot of the kids got wrong. So it is a learning tool later on.

Just print out the example ones and don't stress!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Justwant2beamummy View Post
    Definitely don't stress about Naplan or let her stress. Honestly, Naplan and the way schools go about preparing for it (I.e putting fear into PREP kids about it), has a lot to answer for. Schools should be teaching against the curriculum, not Naplan.
    This is what is so hard and frustrating about being a teacher and NAPLAN itself - OP is complaining that the school hasn't done enough to prepare kids, you're complaining they do too much. Can't win.

Guess what - most schools and teachers would rather not have NAPLAN. It's government mandated however. And if a child or school's results aren't 'up to scratch', parents will complain. Data from testing gets used on things like the MySchool website and parents make decisions about the worth of a school based on this.

I personally try to ensure that my students are familiar with the style and format of the questions, and give them general 'test-taking' strategies to use for unfamiliar questions. This takes maybe a few hours. Some schools drill their kids for hours a day for the preceding terms which I think is horrid.

I tell my students that the NAPLAN test isn't testing them really, it's testing the school. I tell parents that their child's results are an indication of their child's ability to do *that particular test* on *that particular day*. It's not a reflection of a child's innate value or intelligence.

Oh, and it's not up to the Year 3 teacher to have taught everything a child needs to know for the test - it's supposed to be an indication of their learning thus far, not just in the few months they've been in Year 3 prior to the test.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BettyW For This Useful Post:

EmeraldDolly  (27-04-2014),Lauzy  (27-04-2014),VicPark  (27-04-2014)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Naplan ... Grade 3 .. experiences

I always battle with the expectation of spending the first term teaching to the test, when I would rather teach the new content for the year and provide students with the opportunity for real life, deep, meaningful learning experiences. The way I look at it, spending over a term revising the whole previous year's work is actually poor teaching and planning, because there is no way to meet the other curriculum needs (ie new learning) in the remaining time. I would never send my child to such a data-driven school that spent weeks and weeks preparing for NAPLAN, nor one that exempted students that will ruin the average.

As a primary school teacher I am absolutely philosophically opposed to the NAPLAN, especially for Year 3 students. It is one test, on one day. Even the maths test is a reading test, and there is nothing to allow a child to show creativity of thought, general knowledge, original strategies, problem solving skills. It is written for children with a very specific brain - I had a gifted child on the spectrum, and he managed to misinterpret every single question one year, just because of the way his brain worked and the poor wording of the questions. Apart from at high school and some university courses, the ability to do well at multiple choice exams isn't a real world application of the learning that we do.

If you want to know how your daughter is really doing at school, ask her teacher. Look at her schoolwork. Ask questions about her new learning and her development. Find out what gaps she has in understanding. Her teacher should be able to tell you all of these things, including how she will perform on the test, without waiting to find out from the NAPLAN.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

babyla  (27-04-2014),Justwant2beamummy  (27-04-2014),Whirligig  (27-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyW View Post
    This is what is so hard and frustrating about being a teacher and NAPLAN itself - OP is complaining that the school hasn't done enough to prepare kids, you're complaining they do too much. Can't win.

Guess what - most schools and teachers would rather not have NAPLAN. It's government mandated however. And if a child or school's results aren't 'up to scratch', parents will complain. Data from testing gets used on things like the MySchool website and parents make decisions about the worth of a school based on this.

I personally try to ensure that my students are familiar with the style and format of the questions, and give them general 'test-taking' strategies to use for unfamiliar questions. This takes maybe a few hours. Some schools drill their kids for hours a day for the preceding terms which I think is horrid.

I tell my students that the NAPLAN test isn't testing them really, it's testing the school. I tell parents that their child's results are an indication of their child's ability to do *that particular test* on *that particular day*. It's not a reflection of a child's innate value or intelligence.

Oh, and it's not up to the Year 3 teacher to have taught everything a child needs to know for the test - it's supposed to be an indication of their learning thus far, not just in the few months they've been in Year 3 prior to the test.

^^^ this!
    I am also a teacher and agree completely.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkIsTheNewBlack For This Useful Post:

em15ma  (27-04-2014)

Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    The year 3 test will also ask questions well above year 3, that is how they determine that a child is working at grade 5 level (for example), plus as pp have said it is one test on one day. The greatest problem with year 3 tests is interpretation, in fact the only 'value' I see in looking at past tests is to teach the child this test type/ question type as this is an art in itself.

I find it hard to believe that a school would use it to judge classes etc for children - the results come so ridiculously late in the year and so many, many months after the test has been administered that they are hardly a reflection of where any child is at (by the time the results are received).

However, I work at a school that gets it metaphoric @rse kicked by the department for lower NAPLAN results, despite very high vce results, so I know that the results are used to judge schools.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies for alllll your advice. .

Im new to this naplan and wasn't sure on how different school teachers  prepare kids for naplan. . I was expecting grade 3 homework to be more and harder at beginning from the begining of the year. . Since we returned from easter break. The  homework has. We got given the scottle websites and my daughter is struggling with them. They havnt yet taught about fractions in class so we have started.   I just Really thought this would have started back at the beginning of the year !!Not 3 weeks out from naplan. .  She doesn't retain info to well. .   We also have those naplan books. . I thought her spelling was better. . Her teacher from 1st term didn't mention any areas of concern ... but like I say we now have a new teacher for the term and their opinions maybe different. . And I'm worried that she'll just get  over whelmed on the day and just cry  

I thought that Maths, Grammer, English, science  was part of the curriculum and thus naplan was an overview ...no ...???

I'm not sure about grading the classes due to naplan. .Sorry. . I've been told you get a graph and on that graph is a dot (your child) against the nation or state ??? 

So has naplan changed its importance to morso back on the school rather than the child ?? 

So am I really the only one stressing.. 

Thanks again for telling me not to stress ... I'll try. ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry .. I didn't see there are more posted when I posted my reply. Ok I won't work myself up over it. She's quite calm over it. . Just gets emotional and cries when she doesn't understand the questions. . Or if I try and correct her. . As long as she gets a good report card
    . I'll just focus on that. . Thanks again teachers and ladies for responding. . Hope I havnt offended anyone. . i didn't mean to offend anyone. .