+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ohh and I almost forgot the conversation we had where she tried to tell me that giving babies large pieces of food upset their tummies and made them cry because once one of the family gave her infant son large sultanas and it gave him a belly ache. Would not listen when I said that it was more likely that the concentrated sugar of dried fruit gave him the bellyache, no, it was the actual size. We ignored that gem and DD is now an awesome eater who can manage food very well due to being given soft lumps from day dot (6months when I introduced solids).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good lord all this antiquated advice, I was told to eat loads of cakes and biscuits by a home visiting nurse when a baby is born to bulk up my milk eh? Whats wrong with a healthy diet, but the nurses backside was rather plump and when I questioned her advice she said her own babies benefited from the extra sugar in the lovely homemade cakes. I rang the plunket society in nz after she left and complained and the nurse never visited again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

Firsttimemummabear  (27-04-2014),HearMeRoar  (27-04-2014),jagamoe  (06-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't had too much weird advice but I did have a friend who has never had children say some weird things to me. DS was 3 months old and we went to a friend's wedding (the couple had said it was fine to bring him). This other friend asked why I hadn't been able to find a babysitter. I told her I didn't want to leave him as he is only tiny still and I was breastfeeding. She acted as though bringing him was weird, then went on to say "Trust me, you'll want to stop that before he gets teeth."
    Yes. I'll trust you, childless person who doesn't even like kids. Sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post
    I haven't had too much weird advice but I did have a friend who has never had children say some weird things to me. DS was 3 months old and we went to a friend's wedding (the couple had said it was fine to bring him). This other friend asked why I hadn't been able to find a babysitter. I told her I didn't want to leave him as he is only tiny still and I was breastfeeding. She acted as though bringing him was weird, then went on to say "Trust me, you'll want to stop that before he gets teeth."
    Yes. I'll trust you, childless person who doesn't even like kids. Sure.
    I love advice from childless people. I have a friend who preached BF to me. Told me it'll get easier, just to persevere, to try harder. Yeah sure, me setting an alarm to BF a prem baby even 1.5 hours during the day, 2hr at night and expressing in between, as well as finger line feeding because she actually can't feed all while she's losing losing weight. No worries, I'll try harder

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

Firsttimemummabear  (27-04-2014),jagamoe  (06-08-2016),KitiK  (07-08-2016),Missy RJ  (27-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh man when I started this thread I didn't realise how much bad advice and rude comments is mummy's get haha it's jaw dropping!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Glycerin suppositories are used against constipation and some soaps are made of glycerin
    So long as you only use either glycerin soap or a totally additive-free one (such as Simple), the homemade suppository method can be safely used. It's certainly saved us a dollar or two over the years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Feed my newborn Sunshine milk powder and Pentavite = cheaper than formula apparently 👍
    And pop some farex in there for good measure. From birth. Fills em up and helps them sleep.😮

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cicho For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (06-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My child isn't settling to go to bed because I am not feeding her boiled cows milk before bed. No my child isn't settling because she just had her tonsils out 2 days prior and also has a CMPI so milk isn't going to help but hey thanks for the advice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    This thread is gold!

My mum's friend chastised me in that 'I know it all' way when my baby started crying (he very rarely cried) and said he was crying because wearing clothes hurt him and he should be naked. He was 6 mths old, it was nighttime in winter and he was wearing a loose fitting wondersuit *eyeroll* ... he was due for a feed.