+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grebbeci View Post
    She follows it to the point of not feeding my 4 day old nephew when he was rooting because 'it wasn't feed time yet' and putting ear plugs in so they can go to sleep.
    This is just horrible 😞 I feel sick reading things like that

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (21-04-2014),SAgirl  (22-04-2014),Starfish30  (21-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I used it for my second. Mostly to get an idea on routines. It worked very well but we didn't started till 3 months. I didn't do her CIO but I did do dreamfeeds. Never followed her guidelines for blankets or time limits on breast feeds when little.
    My 2 kids are both very different and I seriously doubt whether it would have worked with number 1. At almost 4 he is only just at the stage where he will recognise tired and put himself to bed.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by just her chameleon View Post
    It doesn't align with our parenting methodology. We would never consider following any of her recommendations.
    This. Its against my philosophy & approach to parenting. I like to follow my baby's lead and it seems to work well for us. Last night he slept 7pm to 5am (no wake ups) and the night before 10pm to 9am (one wake up). Normally he is 10pm to 6am. We co-sleep so I guess we do almost the opposite of save our sleep.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've used it as a guideline for both girls, with a few tweaks to suit them (and me) - I never let them cry, instead patting and 'shh shh' if they're grizzling, picking up and cuddling if they did cry. Dd2 also has a dummy.

I was able to follow the routine to the tee with dd1 and have had to make the feed and sleep times more frequent for dd2. I also stopped the dreamfeed after a few days.

They have only ever cried when they're in pain, if they want something they would call out. They also both started sleeping through within a week of starting sos.

I recommend the book to people, but I do tell them the tweaks I made.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    I find it interesting that people can comment on it without actually reading the book.
    Why? I have friends who have followed it religiously and have been open about the recommendations from the book. Based on that I have absolutely no desire to read the book as I know it definitely isn't for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Oh I didn't mean you. Our anyone in particular to be honest.
    And I'm not defending the book. I know lots of people it worked for but lots it didn't too.

I just find it interesting there are people who say 'I haven't read it but....'

What's funny is that I never even knew it was controversial til I joined BH... and read some threads. Before. .. my friends all raved about her!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I was one of those who said I haven't read it but......

I suppose I think I get the gist of it reading reviews and info online about this book (and others). I am not saying its a terrible book or that I don't agree with anything that's said in it, just that I don't think it would suit me and my kids. From what I understand its quite routine based which is not what we do when our kids are young.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SalsaMama View Post
    Why? I have friends who have followed it religiously and have been open about the recommendations from the book. Based on that I have absolutely no desire to read the book as I know it definitely isn't for me.
    It really wasn't a statement I made to start an argument.
    But you really can't have an understanding of it unless you have read it. I can't really decide if I like something unless I experience it. .. like you can tell me about a book you've read. . the plot. . the characters. .. But unless I read it I can't fully understand it for myself.

I don't ascribe to it myself, as I said. I found parts helpful. But lots of people have used it with great success. And shouldn't be made to feel bad about following her routines.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Donnab739  (22-04-2014),RastaMouse  (21-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    This. It goes against every instinctive bone in my body and imo is dangerous advice on several levels.
    Yep

I read it with an open mind but totally disagree with her principles.

♥me & he = ds 17/9/13♥

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I used SOS with both my girls. First one I started at about 4-5mo wen my hubby brought it home after I had a meltdown of having no sleep! I followed it religiously with my first and I swear by it. With my second I started introducing it at about 3mo but tweaked it a bit gentler. For example to get her used to self settling I started letting her put herself to sleep in the pram and swing. I then gradually started letting her self settle in her cot but used a dummy as an aid. I would let her grizzle if she was just tired but if she got upset then I would get her up and try again after about 10-15min. I had to go back to work when DD2 was 3.5 mo so needed her to learn to sleep on her own so that it would be less difficult for her starting daycare. It worked for us and she is one of the best sleepers in the babies room at 6mo. I think that there are things that every parent can take from it and use and you need to keep an open mind. It is the same as ANY parenting method. There are good and bad points to all and nobody has the right to judge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LamaBana82 View Post
    Yep

I read it with an open mind but totally disagree with her principles.

♥me & he = ds 17/9/13♥
    I agree.

The routines are way too strict.

It is essentially controlled crying. I feel strongly about the negative effects of that practice. It has been proven in numerous studies to be harmful to a child's brain development, even if it seems as though they are fine on the surface.

Having said that, if a mother is not coping and is ready to smother her baby, this is a better alternative.
    Last edited by Acadaca; 21-04-2014 at 18:37.