+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 354
  1. #251
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,006
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I'm not getting into the SOS debate, but yes I did find some other approaches far more idiot proof. Eg, I followed the safe sleep space approach with DD (which worked quite well) which says- allow them to try to self settle. Any little whimpers or grizzles, keep listening. Three loud 'waa's' and you go in immediately and offer comfort until calm. Idiot proof. No mixed messages about what constitutes 'protesting' and saying in ones breath 'it's not CC' then in the next 'be prepared for some crying'
    It actually tells you exactly what to listen for.
    And why I love the happiest baby on the block. No room for confusion at all. 5 steps to settling an unsettled newborn. Brilliant.

  2. #252
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    13,067
    Thanks
    9,846
    Thanked
    12,964
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I'm not getting into the SOS debate, but yes I did find some other approaches far more idiot proof. Eg, I followed the safe sleep space approach with DD (which worked quite well) which says- allow them to try to self settle. Any little whimpers or grizzles, keep listening. r.
    I'm confused. This is pretty much what SOS says. It describes how to identify a protest cry. It's not the books fault if people don't read this properly or still can't tell what a protest cry is .
    Last edited by VicPark; 23-04-2014 at 04:42.

  3. #253
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5,159
    Thanks
    4,986
    Thanked
    4,852
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I'm confused. This is pretty much what SOS says. It describes how to identify a protest cry. It's not the books fault if people don't read this properly or still can't tell what a protest cry is .
    Maybe she shouldn't use the term 'protest cry' if she means grizzling because to me grizzling isn't crying and 'protest cry' insinuates crying.

  4. #254
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,880
    Thanks
    5,206
    Thanked
    3,905
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I stand by my comment disagreeing with the statement that all cuddles are a NEED. Pfftttt!!!
    That's truly sad.



    wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

    btmacxxx  (23-04-2014)

  6. #255
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    13,067
    Thanks
    9,846
    Thanked
    12,964
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    That's truly sad.



    wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.
    If you think all cuddles are a need and not a want then that is naive denial.

  7. #256
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Mildura
    Posts
    1,565
    Thanks
    486
    Thanked
    395
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm at the point where no book will help me. I'm back off to sleep school!!!! My DS no matter how hard I try or the things I do is still a terrible sleeper in his 13 weeks on earth he has slept through fully twice only!! It use to be pain causing it now it's just habit and I can't seem to break it.

    Sent from my LG-D802T using The Bub Hub mobile app

  8. #257
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    18,232
    Thanks
    1,440
    Thanked
    7,854
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LiterallyNoOne View Post
    I'm at the point where no book will help me. I'm back off to sleep school!!!! My DS no matter how hard I try or the things I do is still a terrible sleeper in his 13 weeks on earth he has slept through fully twice only!! It use to be pain causing it now it's just habit and I can't seem to break it.

    Sent from my LG-D802T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    13 weeks is still so young.

  9. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

    Acadaca  (23-04-2014),AdornedWithCats  (23-04-2014),Anjalee  (23-04-2014),ArthurDent  (23-04-2014),atomicmama  (23-04-2014),babyla  (23-04-2014),BeeSam  (23-04-2014),btmacxxx  (23-04-2014),emzluvbub  (23-04-2014),HollyGolightly81  (23-04-2014),just her chameleon  (23-04-2014),Missy RJ  (23-04-2014),new mum 15809  (24-04-2014),peanutmonkey  (23-04-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (23-04-2014),smallpotatoes  (23-04-2014)

  10. #258
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,877
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LiterallyNoOne View Post
    I'm at the point where no book will help me. I'm back off to sleep school!!!! My DS no matter how hard I try or the things I do is still a terrible sleeper in his 13 weeks on earth he has slept through fully twice only!! It use to be pain causing it now it's just habit and I can't seem to break it.

    Sent from my LG-D802T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    That sounds really normal to me.

  11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

    Acadaca  (23-04-2014),BeeSam  (23-04-2014),btmacxxx  (23-04-2014),just her chameleon  (23-04-2014),Missy RJ  (23-04-2014),new mum 15809  (24-04-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (23-04-2014)

  12. #259
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7,054
    Thanks
    6,263
    Thanked
    5,482
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    This is what upset me about books like SOS. They give people unrealistic expectations that their baby will sleep through if they just follow this routine. And yes I do know the book actually says babies might still wake but the majority of people who advocate for the book say that their baby slept through from a young age, which in most babies is just an unrealistic expectation.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  13. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

    Acadaca  (23-04-2014),babyla  (23-04-2014),BeeSam  (23-04-2014),btmacxxx  (23-04-2014),DailyDiversion  (23-04-2014),emzluvbub  (23-04-2014),just her chameleon  (23-04-2014),NancyBlackett  (23-04-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (23-04-2014),smallpotatoes  (23-04-2014),Star81  (23-04-2014),Wise Enough  (23-04-2014)

  14. #260
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,877
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    This is what upset me about books like SOS. They give people unrealistic expectations that their baby will sleep through if they just follow this routine. And yes I do know the book actually says babies might still wake but the majority of people who advocate for the book say that their baby slept through from a young age, which in most babies is just an unrealistic expectation.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I agree 100%. This is my biggest issue too. Expectations are unrealistic and you're left feeling defeated when it won't work or like you're doing something wrong or your baby is somehow not like all the other babies.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

    peanutmonkey  (23-04-2014)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Buying a house, how did you save $$
    By monnie24 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-07-2013, 17:54
  2. to save morning urine or not
    By wobblermummy in forum Conception & Fertility General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-06-2013, 17:47
  3. Save our Sleep and Preemies
    By Abubby in forum General Sleeping & Settling Chat
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 21-06-2013, 11:47

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
ProSwimProSwim runs learn to swim classes for babies, children and adults. Our indoor centre in Plympton Park has lessons all ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›