+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Nasogastric feeding for bottle refusal

Anybody on here with a nasal gastric tube fed baby. I'm hoping for some positive outcomes. My son is 12 weeks old and has cmpi and severe silent reflux. He all of a sudden just wouldn't and couldn't feed from a bottle no matter how hard we tried it caused him pain. He has been getting fed via tube for 3 days now and we are trying to slowly re introduce his bottle but it's not happening. Has anyone else had a slow start like this? He isn't completely rejecting the bottle but also can't seem to take more than 10 to 60ml.

I just want to take him home. I'm staying in the hospital with him as he won't settle for anybody else but I'm all alone in everything here my DP has to stay at home with DD and when he does come in she just whines and complains she wants to go home so that visit is short lived.

1397594193298.jpg

Sent from my LG-D802T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Have you spoken to the paed about him possibly not liking the taste of the hydrolyzed formula? I havent been in the situation of NG tube but my DS3 was in hospital with bad dehydration from refusing feeds because of the taste of the hydrolyzed formula.

I hope you find some success soon

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    He likes the formula a lot but just can't get past that amount. I was told it's because at this stage it causes him pain because the allergy went undiagnosed for so long because he doesn't carry many if any of the symptoms of an allergy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What hospital are you at? Your in sa arent you sorry if im wrong.

Poor little man. Thinking of him and you

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    What hospital are you at? Your in sa arent you sorry if im wrong.

Poor little man. Thinking of him and you

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I'm in Mildura about an hour from S.A in Vic just staying in the children's ward we are on day 4 today and suckling a little on the bottle not much I'm trying a different bottle different teat today. How's your little boy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    As Toh know my dd has been ng fed several times. This was due to feeding aversions and also surgeries. She's also had cmpi and reflux. Also she's has a rare genetic syndrome that causes feeding problems and most kids with her syndrome are fully tube fed for several years.
    I tell you this because no one expected her to drink bottles or take solids but after much perseverance she did and gained weight.
    While in hospital she refused bottles but we kept trying. I found the following helped
    - bottles/teats...pigeon teats were the only ones that worked. But it was slow. 40mls here and there.
    - feeding her in a really relaxed environment and trying not to be stressed. Playing music etc.
    - late night ssleepy feeds.
    - using the meds
    - frequent smaller feeds until she's could cope.
    - using the ng only as a backup.
    Also, once she's was taking small amounts I asked to remove the tube. The drs didn't want to but I knew it was interfering with her feeding and yes it did help. Also it became a must not to do any medical intervention that upset her 30min either side of a bottle. This feed must be a positive experience. So I told them no meds while she was drinking or trying to drink (the nurses loved to shove a syringe in her mouth while she was drinking).
    I worked pretty hard to help set up feeding that was positive. It was really really hard. And I had drs breathing down my neck about putting ng tubes in. This lasted about 8 months.
    You can do it. If my dd can beat all the odds so you can you guys.
    (Ps we were in hospital last easter too...sucked!!)
    I hope you get a speechie in to help soon too. Also trying different positions for feeds. Even lying down flat and not cuddling. So it feels completely different for bub. I often fed dd with her lying in her cot.
    Anyway. . I'm rambling now but I hope some of that helps.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

PrincessPud (16-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    As Toh know my dd has been ng fed several times. This was due to feeding aversions and also surgeries. She's also had cmpi and reflux. Also she's has a rare genetic syndrome that causes feeding problems and most kids with her syndrome are fully tube fed for several years.
    I tell you this because no one expected her to drink bottles or take solids but after much perseverance she did and gained weight.
    While in hospital she refused bottles but we kept trying. I found the following helped
    - bottles/teats...pigeon teats were the only ones that worked. But it was slow. 40mls here and there.
    - feeding her in a really relaxed environment and trying not to be stressed. Playing music etc.
    - late night ssleepy feeds.
    - using the meds
    - frequent smaller feeds until she's could cope.
    - using the ng only as a backup.
    Also, once she's was taking small amounts I asked to remove the tube. The drs didn't want to but I knew it was interfering with her feeding and yes it did help. Also it became a must not to do any medical intervention that upset her 30min either side of a bottle. This feed must be a positive experience. So I told them no meds while she was drinking or trying to drink (the nurses loved to shove a syringe in her mouth while she was drinking).
    I worked pretty hard to help set up feeding that was positive. It was really really hard. And I had drs breathing down my neck about putting ng tubes in. This lasted about 8 months.
    You can do it. If my dd can beat all the odds so you can you guys.
    (Ps we were in hospital last easter too...sucked!!)
    I hope you get a speechie in to help soon too. Also trying different positions for feeds. Even lying down flat and not cuddling. So it feels completely different for bub. I often fed dd with her lying in her cot.
    Anyway. . I'm rambling now but I hope some of that helps.

Thanks so much for telling me anyway most of that I have done and tried it all worked but he wasn't taking enough to gain weight his one of those babies that has to have his room rocking chair and quiet to feed well it's very noisy and stressful here so it's going to be hard. I tried pigeon bottles but he won't take them I've tried all different bottles the 2 that worked best where avent and closer to nature by tommee tippee. I'm trying the closer to nature ones again as he hasn't used them since 2 weeks old and he isn't latching onto avent well.

Hoping to go home for 2 hrs on Easter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The thing is you need to remain consistent. This is exactly how I approached feeding from 3 weeks old until about 8 months when it stopped being critical. It was a long frustrating time (still is with ongoing issues).
    You just keep trying even with the ng tube. If you keep changing things you never get to see it even out.
    Just keep at it. You might find the speechie debunks closer to nature or avent bottles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh... I also found the busynessof hospital hard... if you can close off your curtains or if youre in a single room close the door. Let the nurse know you are trying to feed your bubba and are not to be disturbed for half an hour. Remember you're the mummy so you're the boss.

Sent from my GT-P5220 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Oh... I also found the busynessof hospital hard... if you can close off your curtains or if youre in a single room close the door. Let the nurse know you are trying to feed your bubba and are not to be disturbed for half an hour. Remember you're the mummy so you're the boss.

Sent from my GT-P5220 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    They are teaching me how to syringe feed him they tried another bottle with no luck and decided just to stick with the avent. I really hate how they talk about u and you can hear them though my rooms right out front of nurses station and need to tea room.