+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Slumber party do's and don't

Ok so it's a bit late cos we currently have one in progress. But for future reference what is the current parent etiquette. Do you let the kids have free reign, contain them in one room, let them stay up as late as they want, give them a bedtime etc..? It's been a while since I had one myself. The age group is 9 year old girls.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I keep them in one room and let them stay up a little later than usual (so say 930) but then it's lights dimmed and quiet talking. One or two usually start to fall asleep and if the others don't follow I sit in the room and read to them until they are asleep. They usually wake earlier on a sleepover so I like them asleep by 10.

DD1 went to a sleepover for a friend's 7th birthday and they were all up til 1am and then awake at 6. She was a mess. I don't want that to happen again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Well it's almost 1 am here and they are still awake! I have done lots of encouraging to slow down and lights down, quiet talking since about 8.30. Their voices eventually get louder and louder until I chat them again. It's dd1 first slumber party too. I have told them now it's very late and its time to go to sleep and I'm going to bed now and they are still awake. Hopefully they go to sleep very soon. At least they have had a happy night I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like they are having a wonderful time- exactly how a slumber party should go!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds like they are having a ball! Slumber parties are the best!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    It's one night of their lives on school holidays. They sleep eventually. Hope you got some too.

White Mage is offline Today has been cancelled, go back to bed.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds a lot like the sleepovers I had as a kid. We didn't fall asleep til 6am the next morning.
    In a room, lights out by 9-10pm. Quiet talking.
    Hope it went well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow I'd he rouble.to be honest. My Dd went to a sleep over and didn't sleep nearly all night and was so strung out the next day. She looked like a junky, pale, massive bags under her bugging out eyes and felt ill. Not impressed.
    I've had sleepovers, and of.course fun, late night snacks, giggles, games and late nights go with the territory, but I draw the line at ten. If it keeps up after then then I get very cranky. Granted, it all depends on age of the children, but at 7 it's not gonna happen at my house.

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've had a few sleepovers and camps as I'm a Girl Guide leader and lights out are 8:30/9pm. You get those few that stay awake chatting and fidgeting so after a few warnings (advise it's disrespectful to others etc) and it's like 10:30pm, that's when I get my consequences tone of voice happening. I warn them that if there's anymore chatting they will have to clean the bathroom instead of the first activity the next day. That works everytime as they know I'm serious that that consequence will happen.
    Not sure it's something you could do with a sleepover with your kid's friends tho... But maybe you could.
    I should add that is for both age groups we have in Guides, 14yrs and younger. It's a bit different when you've got Ranger age group tho (14-17).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by LotusMum View Post
    Wow I'd he rouble.to be honest. My Dd went to a sleep over and didn't sleep nearly all night and was so strung out the next day. She looked like a junky, pale, massive bags under her bugging out eyes and felt ill. Not impressed.
    I've had sleepovers, and of.course fun, late night snacks, giggles, games and late nights go with the territory, but I draw the line at ten. If it keeps up after then then I get very cranky. Granted, it all depends on age of the children, but at 7 it's not gonna happen at my house.

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    The OPs kids are 9. Yeah when DD was 7 I was pretty ropable about the late night. But I'm lucky DD copes incredibly well on no sleep so it wasn't the end of the world

It does bring me to my last rule. Everyone home by 9 am the next day. Nothing worse than a group of overtired kids going feral the next day.