As a result of glucose intolerance, genetics and bad luck it looks like I'm having a huge baby. According to fundal height measurements (between 40 and 45 cm depending on who's doing the measuring) and an ultrasound the other day he is estimated at 10lb (plus or minus a pound) at 36 weeks. The obstetrician has given me the choice of being induced in two weeks or having a caesarean. I don't like the sounds of either choice! DD was a vaginal delivery with no painkillers and while it hurt like hell at the very end I recovered pretty quickly and I was looking forward (if that's really the right term!) to doing it the same way again. She was 8.3 lb, though, so most likely smaller than her brother even when errors in estimated weight are taken into account.
Other factors I need to consider: the baby is proportionally large, so at least it's not like he's got a small head and huge shoulders to get stuck. However this does mean he has a big boof head, like everyone else in my family . DD had a big head and it wasn't fun pushing that out last time.
Also, I have PGP (SPD). One study I read actually says that vaginal births have better 6 month outcomes for PGP, but a lot of websites seem to recommend caesarean.
A friend of mine recommended trying the vaginal birth first and having a caesarean only as a last resort. She's had both C-section and VB and found VB much easier to recover from. My mum, an ex-midwife, said that doing this could leave me really tired by the time they do an emergency caesarean which could slow my recovery.
... and of course I'm freaking out that something could go wrong for the baby if I try for a natural vaginal birth. But at the same time I know that the fundal height and ultrasound can be wrong and he might not be as big as they say and there are long term benefits from VB.
Any advice from mums who have had big bubs before? (Without detailed horror stories please!)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 35
11-04-2014 15:59 #1
Large baby - induced vaginal birth or caesarean?
11-04-2014 16:22 #2
I've not been in the situation, but the fact you've had a vaginal birth before is a really good thing to try for another vaginal birth. Your first baby did all the hard work for you, this one just has to follow the light. If baby's head is too big to come through they will end up doing a c/s as they won't want you labouring for hours and hours not getting anywhere. The main risk you would face is a shoulder dystocia which is not a nice thing, and basically the head comes through and the shoulders get stuck. Most babies can come out by adjusting your position however if that doesn't work it becomes a lot more serious and a lot more scary. (Not wanting to scare you by any means, but if baby is as big as you say then it is something that your ob will be mindful of at delivery. There might be extra staff around or they might put you in different positions as you're pushing to maximize space in your pelvis for baby to get through)
Have you spoken to your doctor in regards to the pros/cons of both options? If they're giving you the option of an induction they must be confident that you can have the baby naturally.
11-04-2014 16:31 #3
I had a c/s due to size. OB sent me for a scan at 38 weeks to check size, scan measured 71/2 - 8pd. At 40 weeks baby was not budging nor was my cervix. OB gave me over the weekend as I wanted a natural delivery. 3 days later I had a c/s and my beautiful 11pd 4 DD was delivered. I was upset for some time about not having the delivery I wanted but now I look back and think it was great experience for me. The anaesthetist played my favourite song and my OB was singing as he lifted my DD out. I'm expecting in August, hoping for a Vbac but am also prepared this time if it goes the other way.
11-04-2014 16:37 #4Senior Member
- Join Date
- Jun 2007
I had a severe shoulder dystocia with my first birth so for my next 2 I had growth scans and because the head and abdominal circumferences were proportionate I went on to have 2 early inductions.
My sister was recently induced a week early and had a 10 pound 1 baby just a few hours after her waters were broken. She didn't had time for an epidural and didn't even tear.
I would always opt for a vaginal induction over a csection, unless recommended to me by an OB due to my specific situation.
11-04-2014 17:40 #5
I wanted to attempt a vbac with #2 but at 41+3 my 11lb 1oz dd was born via c-section. I went into it electively. Even though I was so desperate for a vbac the entire pregnancy I am so glad I made the decision to have the caesar.
It took them a lot of force to budge my dd out! Once out they found her fontanelles were quite small. This could be due to a few reasons, 1 being that the bones in her head had started to mature. This would have made a natural delivery very hard as her head wouldn't mould to pass through the pelvis. I also knew she was big. My ds was 9lb14oz and I could tell just carrying her that she was around the same if not bigger. This planted the seed of doubt which just continued to grow. I was so scared of labouring and having it all end traumatically for me and/or dd.
In saying all that though size doesn't mean you can't delivery vaginally. Is bubs in a good position? If I was in your position I would probably agree to induction but go in prepared for either delivery, vaginal or caesar.
*I hope some of that makes sense. Typing while rocking my very unsettled dd!*
11-04-2014 17:41 #6Senior Member
- Join Date
- Aug 2010
I would say it depends how comfortable and confident you are about birth/ing. My third baby was 11pd, born at 41 weeks and 6 days, spontaneous, natural labour following a shoulder dystocia. Doctors were stressing about his size, but I never did because I knew I could do it.
11-04-2014 17:43 #7
Id opt for induced VB if that's your two choices.
My SIL did that when they estimated her ds to be 10lb at 40w. She was induced at 38w, after 45mins out came her 9lb bub.
Not saying every birth is the same (duh) but thought if give you a positive
11-04-2014 17:44 #8
The Following User Says Thank You to lexim For This Useful Post:
11-04-2014 17:48 #9
I would ask what the margin of error is on the measurements. Moreover, 10lbs is not that big.
Personally I would chose neither and have a spontaneous labour.
The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:
11-04-2014 17:54 #10
I would pick CS. I had CS with both my babies, both had high fundal height, think I was 40 at 32 weeks. I had both girls at 39 weeks and they were 9lb3/8lb10. So big, but not huge. I have no regrets about my choices. Yes recovering from a CS sucks, but I think it would suck more to have labour first!
My friend was carrying a big baby and wanted to try a natural birth, her first was a CS because he was breech (11lb). She went into labour and went to the hospital, the baby was in distress so they went straight to CS. A few hours later her 14lb7oz bubba was born.
By gloqui in forum Birth & Labour QuestionsReplies: 3Last Post: 16-02-2014, 23:18
By BubbleGuppy in forum Pregnancy & Birth General ChatReplies: 0Last Post: 23-01-2014, 09:53
By ManchesterLass in forum Birth & Labour QuestionsReplies: 4Last Post: 29-09-2013, 21:56
ProSwimProSwim Rostrevor runs learn to swim classes for children and adults. Lessons are run during the Summer months ...
LATESTHow to get your kids to bring home empty lunch boxesIs the secret to saving for your child’s education in your home loan?Games to play with your baby – newborn to 12 months
POPULARWhen can I start giving chores to my children?New baby nursery checklist – a guide to newborn essentialsWhat to pack for labour and hospital – a checklist
FORUMS - chatting now ...
April/May TTC group chatConception & Fertility General Chat
First world problems.General Chat
Kindergarten question4 year olds
Tea drinkers unite!General Chat
Early Pregnancy SymptomsFirst Trimester Chat
Family advice - WWYD?Issues with Family Members
What age can teenagers consent to flu needles?Immunisation & Vaccines
Is the name Evie really that popular? (Particularly in NSW)Choosing Baby Names
Come chat, Ladies who are 40+ TTC or ExpectingConception & Fertility General Chat
IVF/FET April & May chatConception & Fertility General Chat