We have been told we have had a missed miscarriage As much as I want to try and m/c naturally I don't know how much longer I can wait. I know nothing about the drugs they use and I am unsure of a D&C. Can anyone share their stories?
I would like to know who chose the drugs to m/c and your experience and would you choose that option again. Or why you chose a D&C over the drugs?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 15
10-04-2014 11:09 #1
Missed Miscarriage - What next, Misoprostal or D&C? HELP!
10-04-2014 11:20 #2
Sorry for your loss cloud babies.
The drugs are usually misoprotsal and RU486 (which also has another name). They work for a certain percentage of people, but not all (didn't work for me).
It is good to try and avoid a D&C if possible as there is a chance that it can cause damage to your uterus.
I've had 2 D&Cs due to mc - mainly due to retained placenta and the tablets not working for me. I've had one mc that went naturally a few days after having the tablets and them not working.
It does depend how far along you are sometimes - if you are 8 weeks or less they tend to try and manage it through meds or naturally.
It is hard waiting to move on - I'd definitely try the tablets and give your body a couple of days and then book a day for D&C if you haven't mc'd naturally by then. It is good not to leave it too long or the chance of infection also rises.
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Ted For This Useful Post:
10-04-2014 11:23 #3Senior Member
- Join Date
- Feb 2012
I'm sorry for your loss. I had a mmc at 10wks. I decided to go for a D&C as I just wanted it over with. It was a Wednesday when I found out and the D&C was booked in for the Friday. I woke up on the Thursday and started to miscarry naturally. It was horrible, but after a few hours, I felt better and thought it was all over. Unfortunately later that day the pains came back and I ended up having an emergency D&C that night. For me personally, the pain was horrible and something I never want to go through again.
10-04-2014 11:24 #4
I am 10w but there has been no growth since 6w
10-04-2014 11:32 #5Senior Member
- Join Date
- Sep 2009
I had my mmc picked up at 10 weeks. They were worried it was a molar pregnancy so I had to have a d&c but I was given misoprostel first to help dilate my cervix for the dr. Mine was done under general but I have heard about early ones being done under sedation only.
10-04-2014 11:33 #6
If there has been no growth since 6wks, personally for me I would take the tablets today if convenient, get bloods done a few days apart and if hcg isn't coming down quickly enough and tablets don't work to book a d&c. If it's already been 4 weeks you don't want to leave it too much longer to start the process.
Can I ask why you were on the steroids?
10-04-2014 11:40 #7
10-04-2014 11:49 #8
10-04-2014 12:02 #9
I know I've seen you perhaps on the NKC thread - which bloods have you had? Usually steroids are used to suppress your immune system and if the doctor sees that as a threat I'm not sure why they didn't have you on clexane as well to keep the immune system from clotting off the baby - ask them some questions - there's no such thing as a silly question at this stage.
There is such a thing as a guided D&C too - see if your specialist does them.
Last edited by Little Ted; 10-04-2014 at 12:05.
10-04-2014 12:03 #10
Sorry for your loss cloudbabies xx
My first loss was a mmc discovered at our nt scan at 12.5wks. baby was only measuring 8.5wks and as there was no sign of my body mc naturally (still had symptoms/no spotting/cramping/cervix still high & tightly closed) it was decided to do a d&c. I had a d&c first thing the following morning. I will say though I mc at home 1/2hr before going to hospital, the dose of misoprostel they gave me to prepare my cervix worked more than expected
We had a 2nd mmc in November last year, finding out at our 'reassurance' scan. Baby was measuring ok at 9.5wks but sadly no hb seen.
I had a f/up scan 2days later for reassurance and elected to manage it with just the misoprostel. My body struggled with the anesthetic after the 1st d&c and I guess now I have dd, I'm a little more aware of my own mortality. I was initially given 4 tablets orally, repeat in 12hrs by the ed (I questioned them as I had then internally previously). All that resulted was that I was violently ill, nonstop vomiting for the next 36hrs
2 days later with nothing happening, I went back to my gp, she gave me a referral for another 4tablets internally. I inserted them about 8pm ish, bub was born about 2.30am
Sadly I still needed a d&c 4wks later as I had some retained lining that was not budging. It was a horrendous 4wks for me emotionally, I won't lie, as every appt and scan showed it still wasn't over I can't say I regret trying naturally as I had very real concerns about going under an anaesthetic but a d&c definitely gave closure
Good luck making your decision, its not easy especially at such an emotional time xx
Sent from my HTC Desire X using The Bub Hub mobile app
Swim AustraliaSwim Australia are the leading learn-to-swim experts, and national swim school authority. With over 600 Registered Swim ...
LATESTSurrogacy and why many parents break the lawHow to get your kids to bring home empty lunch boxesIs the secret to saving for your child’s education in your home loan?
POPULARWhen can I start giving chores to my children?New baby nursery checklist – a guide to newborn essentialsWhat to pack for labour and hospital – a checklist
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Is a week to early for signs??Conception & Fertility General Chat
Egg Donation in Greece #5Egg Donation
What are our chances??pregnancy and babies through IVF
Egg Donation in South Africa #14Egg Donation
Local Infant Adoption in VictoriaAdoption / Surrogacy
Asking for a friend - names ending in 'ee'Choosing Baby Names
Power back pain! Help!!General Chat
Help with 7 week scan interpretationFirst Trimester Chat
I am... #20General Chat