+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies ladies. I had no idea baby could move just like that. Thought it would be a position he would have been in for a while. Perhaps that would explain my random contractions the day before. Midwife said it was probably him moving down. To answer some of your comments... yes baby was posterior (back to back - correct me if I'm wrong on that) I was labouring on and off for the day previous. Went into hospital day of and presented at 8cms dialated. Spent the morning in shower, walking and leaning over bed. Spent little time laying down as I wasn't comfortable like that. Got fully dialated and was told I could push so I did. I felt like my pushing was not making progress (gut instinct knew something wasn't right). After pushing for over an hour an OB showed up (don't know why? Is it protocol at Mater to have a OB show up to just check on things? ) she did the internal and found he was back to back and not descending as his head was in a funny position. Continued to let me push (ONLY LAYING ON MY BACK ON THE BED THOUGH) also tried vacuum but he just wouldn't budge. Almost attempted episiotomy but decided to just take us into theatre instead.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mummabear13 View Post
    Thanks for the replies ladies. I had no idea baby could move just like that. Thought it would be a position he would have been in for a while. Perhaps that would explain my random contractions the day before. Midwife said it was probably him moving down. To answer some of your comments... yes baby was posterior (back to back - correct me if I'm wrong on that) I was labouring on and off for the day previous. Went into hospital day of and presented at 8cms dialated. Spent the morning in shower, walking and leaning over bed. Spent little time laying down as I wasn't comfortable like that. Got fully dialated and was told I could push so I did. I felt like my pushing was not making progress (gut instinct knew something wasn't right). After pushing for over an hour an OB showed up (don't know why? Is it protocol at Mater to have a OB show up to just check on things? ) she did the internal and found he was back to back and not descending as his head was in a funny position. Continued to let me push (ONLY LAYING ON MY BACK ON THE BED THOUGH) also tried vacuum but he just wouldn't budge. Almost attempted episiotomy but decided to just take us into theatre instead.

When you say his head was in a funny position I wonder whether he may have been a deep transverse arrest, these presentations have a higher need for c section than posterior. I second the poster that suggested a debrief with the hospital.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

mummabear13  (08-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    There are two ways to determine fetal position. Abdominal palpation and vaginal examination.

On abdominal palpation you're feeling for the position of baby's back (or lack of in posterior position) which can be difficult if your palping during labour (discomfort for the woman) or if the mother is overweight on obese.

On vaginal examination you're feeling for the position of the sutures and fontanelles in relation to each other. This can be difficult due to
    a) cervical dilation
    b) maternal discomfort - it takes a good bit of feeling around to determine the position and if the woman is very uncomfortable during vaginal examinations due to labour then sometimes you have just enough time to get cervical dilation before the woman is asking you get your fingers out
    c) swelling on the baby's head (normal during labour) that prevents you from feeling the sutures.

The next question is what exactly would you have liked the midwife to have done if she did identify that baby was posterior antenatally/during labour?

Apart from spending a lot of time on your hands and knees instead of on your back, there's not much you can do to turn a posterior baby apart from wait for it to turn by itself.

If the doctor determined that a caesarean was indicated after 1 hour of pushing there must have been other factors at play. Baby might have been too high up to attempt a forceps or ventouse delivery. Did you have an epidural? Where you pushing effectively and well for that last hour?

Perhaps you need to go back for a debrief at the hospital you birthed at, as based on your OP you seem to have a different idea of what the midwives and doctors should/could have done for you.
    I actually don't think they could have done anything for me. I am in no way upset with my experiences with the hospital OB or midwife. They cared for me and baby wonderfully. Perhaps I worded my question wrong. I was just curious as to whether or not they should of been able to pick it up or not. Thank you for answering my question though, I've found that information very useful. Can I ask are you a midwife wannawannabe?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wasn't given more information on that, just told that his head was not in an ideal position. I might just do that. How would I go about doing that with the hospital?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Are you sure they didn't know? I think sometimes midwives and particularly doctors don't expect we understand these things so might not have been mentioned? Or they weren't sure. No one ever talked to me about posterior vs anterior with ds but I think he was anterior until I spent an hour or more on back being monitored. Not sure where he was lying early labour but I know he was posterior and had stalled labour around 5cms but turned when I had epidural. I've read heaps about posterior babies and seems unlikely that position was main reason for ceasar - tho that's possible, but whether your baby was anterior/posterior during appointments isn't necessarily indicative of position in labour. I ask at every appointment but if I didn't specifically ask they wouldn't say and this bub is posterior now 33 weeks but doesn't mean she will be in labour

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    Are you sure they didn't know? I think sometimes midwives and particularly doctors don't expect we understand these things so might not have been mentioned? Or they weren't sure. No one ever talked to me about posterior vs anterior with ds but I think he was anterior until I spent an hour or more on back being monitored. Not sure where he was lying early labour but I know he was posterior and had stalled labour around 5cms but turned when I had epidural. I've read heaps about posterior babies and seems unlikely that position was main reason for ceasar - tho that's possible, but whether your baby was anterior/posterior during appointments isn't necessarily indicative of position in labour. I ask at every appointment but if I didn't specifically ask they wouldn't say and this bub is posterior now 33 weeks but doesn't mean she will be in labour
    Yup they had no idea until OB did the check after I had been pushing for over an hour. No I've not heard much about it causing a lot of ceasars either so didn't panic too much but it didn't work for me and I still feel like I've been left with no answers. After reading these comments I think I'm going to ask the hospital if I can have a chat with someone about what went wrong

Thanks
    Reviews
    C section would have been more to do with funny position of the head the posterior position. Sometimes their heads can be bent or kinked to one side etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Then the*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi mummabear,
    I’m sorry you didn’t have the labour and birth you were hoping for, and I think getting clear answers about the progression of the labour, and how it led to a csection can sometimes help you to process it all.
    I rang up my hospital and asked for my birth notes to be mailed to me. I think they keep all medical records on file for appx. 7 years, and you are able to request them to be sent out. I think it cost around $30 for the administration fee to have them sent to me, but for me, I was happy to pay. The notes were really informative, and the midwive & ob had written down so much information. Perhaps this would be a good place to start, and then you could ask to talk to someone in person from there?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

mummabear13  (08-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to crash, but do hospitals debrief? How does that work? I went to a different hospital for my second birth and felt I knew more by that stage and was frustrated with how the first one went (posterior, very very long labour, no one told me my back pain was because he was posterior etc, 3rd degree tear etc etc).

Sent from my HTC One X