My kids are exposed to a wide variety of foods and yes that includes junk food. They know that's it's a sometimes food and that it's ok to eat in small amounts. If they ask for something to eat for a snack 99.9% of the time they'll choose fruit or yoghurt over a packet of chips or a lolly.
I really don't pay any attention to what other people feed their children, I'm sure MOST parents are just trying to do their best and it's an accomplishment if their child eats anything at all.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 51 to 60 of 100
05-04-2014 20:55 #51
05-04-2014 21:07 #52
That's why I'm also big on moderation. Some chocolate or a cheese burger is not going to hurt my child if they have had good food for the last week. IMHO extreme restricting often has the opposite effect.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:
05-04-2014 21:17 #53
My SIL has a 9mnth old bubba who eats a lot of rubbish for the simple reason that MIL believes that its mean to eat something in front of a baby and not give them some. I don't get that at all! I can eat absolute rubbish and 11mnth old DD will happily munch on a tomato wedge. She has no clue that she is eating healthy. So when I do know the circumstance I do judge. And I don't feed DD any junk food. What I really don't get is people trying to feed my baby rubbish when they know I am against it. That's a whole other level of judgy right there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tildy For This Useful Post:
05-04-2014 21:17 #54
Yes me too, we were only allowed health food (a carob frog was considered a chocolatey treat and frozen yoghurt instead of ice cream).
So in high school I ate sausage rolls and chocolate cake from the canteen every day.
In my early twenties I ate MacDonalds 3 times a week.
DH was allowed to have everything in moderation (he was the kid with the occasional mini chip packet in his lunch) and he is slim and eats much better than me now.
05-04-2014 21:23 #55
OP I get what you mean about babies, and to a degree you are right as a baby's gut is still developing so to fill it with sugar or salt just seems wrong. It's funny - my older 3 love junk to varying degrees but because we do BLW it actually forces them to eat better. Because I won't let DD3 eat cr@p (yet ) I won't let the other 3 eat it near her.
Life's too short to try and understand why other parents do what they do. Be the best parent YOU want to be and leave the rest to work it out for themselves I say.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:
05-04-2014 21:30 #56
Once again, another reason not to judge
05-04-2014 21:35 #57
Once we were out shopping and I forgot Ds1&2 water at home ( straw/sip cup). They were both very thirty so I had to buy them those pop top character juices because if I had of bought bottled water they would have spilt it everywhere ( I could only find screw top water, not pop top water).
I was wondering if other mothers were judging me for giving them that horrible juice.
05-04-2014 21:35 #58
As for the OP we practice the 80/20 rule (from about 1.5-2yrs). 80% of the time our diet is healthy, the other 20% involves not so good food choices (which could range from maccas to a dinner at home without a huge serve of veg/salad as usual). My kids still see maccas etc as a treat so I know we dont have it too often, and they'd rather have sushi from the school canteen rather than the other not so good options.
The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:
05-04-2014 21:35 #59
05-04-2014 21:44 #60Senior Member
- Join Date
- Jan 2009
by the way, DD now has the occasional junk food while out, or lollies on the odd occasion. Most nights though, we have home-cooked healthy food, and at childcare it has to be of a particular nutritional standard.
Last edited by jussi; 05-04-2014 at 21:48.
Maternity ClothesLooking to buy maternity clothes? :: Check the bubhub directory of local & online maternity clothes shops :: Find ...
LATESTWhy it is OK for your child to be differentWhat is a blessing way? How is it different to a baby shower?7 ways to break the ‘mumnotony’ at home
POPULARWhen can I start giving chores to my children?New baby nursery checklist – a guide to newborn essentialsWhat to pack for labour and hospital – a checklist
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Taking annual leave before maternity leave starts?Maternity Leave
Egg Donation in Greece #5Egg Donation
Show me your kid's lunchbox!Recipes & Lunchbox Ideas
The Lunchbox challange!Recipes & Lunchbox Ideas
Show me your lunchbox 2017!!Recipes & Lunchbox Ideas
What is your weekly budget?Family Finances
A - Z of baby girl namesGames & fun stuff
Did you drink any alcohol during pregnancy?Pregnancy Health Issues