ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Which first- dog or cat?

After having lived in an apartment, we have finally now moved into a house on a good sized (suburban) block of land. We would love to have a dog and a cat but i am wondering which we should get first .... As in would a dog be more accepting of a new cat or visa versa! We would be getting both from young ie kitten and puppy, and we are thinking middle sized to largish dog eg labradoodle or groodle. We have a 3 year old DD as well (if that makes a difference lol).
    Last edited by TeaAndToast; 27-03-2014 at 20:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Could you get them both at the same time so they grow up together?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have finally just toilet trained DD.... not sure I would cope with training a cat and dog at the same time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was also going to suggest both together. Kittens are usually very easy to litter train without accidents or mess, puppies can get excited and leave little puddles! Both together probably wouldn't be any more work than one.

It really depends on the personality of the particular animal you end up with as to how well they cope with a new pet. But generally older cats are not tolerant of dogs (particularly bouncy playful pups) so I would say get the dog first and then the kitten.

lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It all depends on the dog/cat.
    We have three dogs, all if which are used for hunting. They are gentle with humans though.
    I got a cat because the house we previously lived in had a mouse plague.
    I got him as a kitten.
    I was worried about my dogs reaction to him as they generally like to eat feral cats.
    Turns out there was no problem, they are best mates and all sleep together.

Id be more inclined to get the dog first then the kitten.
    Dogs tend to be more adaptable to change where as cats aren't. They get more stressed when things change.

If the cat is use to being the only one in the house And then flees from the dog then the dog is more inclined to chase it whereas if you get a kitten with a house with a dog already in it then they don't know any different.

I hope that makes sense.

But yes I think the best way is to get them together. That way you get tt out of the way all together.

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Lily View Post
    Could you get them both at the same time so they grow up together?
    This is the best way if you can handle two an once. They will likely grow up best friends.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by lexim View Post
    It all depends on the dog/cat.
    We have three dogs, all if which are used for hunting. They are gentle with humans though.
    I got a cat because the house we previously lived in had a mouse plague.
    I got him as a kitten.
    I was worried about my dogs reaction to him as they generally like to eat feral cats.
    Turns out there was no problem, they are best mates and all sleep together.

Id be more inclined to get the dog first then the kitten.
    Dogs tend to be more adaptable to change where as cats aren't. They get more stressed when things change.

If the cat is use to being the only one in the house And then flees from the dog then the dog is more inclined to chase it whereas if you get a kitten with a house with a dog already in it then they don't know any different.

I hope that makes sense.

But yes I think the best way is to get them together. That way you get tt out of the way all together.
    I agree, dog first if you cant get them together.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you adopt from rescue organisation, pound, RSPCA rather than buy a pet then generally the dog/cat will have been tested with other animals and they will be able to let you know whether they are suited to a house with dogs/cats.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tainted For This Useful Post:

Mambo  (28-03-2014)