+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default OPK Advice?

Hi all! DP and I are going to start TTC shortly as my first cycle since my ectopic has finally arrived. I bought some OPKs from eBay but I honestly would have no clue about when to use them, what the results mean etc and I am having trouble finding instructions! Anyone have any advice? Do we DTD on a positive? Thank you! x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by PorkyPies; 17-03-2014 at 19:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I use them all the time. I use 2 a day, one around lunchtime, one around dinner time. You will notice them get darker and darker until the test line is darker than the control line. That is a positive.
    When you get that you should DTD asap as you "should" ovulate 24-72 hours after that.
    Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jodes86 For This Useful Post:

PorkyPies (18-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi porkypies

I'm on my first month using OPKs too! From what I understand:

- the ideal time to start testing depends on how long your cycle is. Mine is typically 28 days so my OPK instructions said to start testing on day CD10 however I thought for some reason I was Oing early so I started testing from CD6 just to track a full cycle (so I started after AF finished)

- I read that best times to test are between 10am - 7pm. Whatever time you pick, do it same time each day. The 'surge' to let you know you are getting close to O can happen quickly so if you tested 10am one day and then 7pm the next day it's longer than 24 hrs in between and you might miss it. Once I hit CD12 I tested in the morning and then 12 hours later to see if I could catch the surge.

- your goal is to have the test line be the same colour or darker than the control line. Once you hit that you should then O 24-36 hours after so get BDing

- up to you how many times you want to DTD. Seems on here some people try to do it as much as possible around O where as some every 2-3 days (my doc told me every 2-3 days to keep sperm concentration high but if I'm not UTD this month I'm going to BD more around O!)

For me this cycle I had very faint test lines on CD 6,7,8,9,10. CD 11 got slightly darker and then hit the darkest on CD12 in the pm. After that I still tested am and pm as I'd seen some peoples surge had stayed strong a couple of days but mine faded quickly so I can assume I o'ed on day 13 or 14 - which is today - fingers crossed! I'm going to keep testing once per day until I'm due for AF. I've read that some people get 2 surges (it's like the first surge failed and you didn't ovulate so your body tries again) so I just want to see what happens now.

Good luck with trying them out. I hope some of this was helpful but as I said, it's all very new to me too!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to emjayne For This Useful Post:

PorkyPies (18-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If they are internet cheapies I just wanted to mention that your positive line may never get as dark as your control line. Mine never did and I'm currently 37 weeks pregnant! I just went with DTD when I started seeing positives! Good luck!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HeavenBlue For This Useful Post:

PorkyPies (18-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks HeavenBlue - good to know

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!