+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 37 of 37
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Kimberley WA
    Posts
    4,658
    Thanks
    919
    Thanked
    1,191
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CitrusRain View Post
    Sorry, but that's rubbish. I think you would find it hard to find anyone more experienced than my OB and I still tore through my epi on my first birth. The baby was only 2.6kg so it wasn't his size either. It was that he was born extremely fast, I was on my back, and he was pulled out of me (emergency situation). My second birth and much bigger breech baby left me with only some grazing and a small labial tear. He was birthed upright and I listened to my body and let my perineum stretch rather than pushing until I was red in the face.
    Well my ob has been an ob for over 35 years so I beg to differ. I think if anyone was going to tear during birth it would have been me, I strongly believe that it was the extensive experience of my ob that I didn't and the birth of ds1 was an emergency also. I did however listen to my midwife when it came to pushing which I'm sure also made a difference.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11,313
    Thanks
    1,749
    Thanked
    1,816
    Reviews
    24
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Well my ob has been an ob for over 35 years so I beg to differ. I think if anyone was going to tear during birth it would have been me, I strongly believe that it was the extensive experience of my ob that I didn't and the birth of ds1 was an emergency also. I did however listen to my midwife when it came to pushing which I'm sure also made a difference.
    My ob had 40yrs experience, and he gave me a 3rd degree episiotomy, thats only done in very very dire circumstances and third world countries!. Sorry, but i trust my body before i trust someone elses opinion on whats going on with MY body.

  3. #33
    Busy-Bee's Avatar
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    11,211
    Thanks
    3,690
    Thanked
    4,765
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    RANZCOG Policy:

    Episiotomy
    There is no benefit to 'routine' episiotomy. Episiotomy should be considered where there is:
    1. A high likelihood of severe laceration;
    2. Soft tissue dystocia [difficult birth, typically caused by a large or awkwardly positioned fetus, by smallness of the maternal pelvis, or by failure of the uterus and cervix to contract and expand normally.]
    3. A requirement to accelerate the birth delivery of a compromised fetus;
    4. A need to facilitate operative vaginal delivery;
    5. A history of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM).

    I had an episiotomy for my first baby, I also ended up with a 3rd degree tear. No epi for the second baby and a second degree tear. Cutting the tissue is going to weaken it and make tearing even more likely. Think of a piece of paper, if you make a cut in it then apply stress to that area then it's more likely to tear than if there was no initial cut.

    We need to have more faith in our bodies!! They are awesome!!

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

    CitrusRainxxx  (21-03-2014),IndigoJ  (19-03-2014)

  5. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Kimberley WA
    Posts
    4,658
    Thanks
    919
    Thanked
    1,191
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    RANZCOG Policy:

    Episiotomy
    There is no benefit to 'routine' episiotomy. Episiotomy should be considered where there is:
    1. A high likelihood of severe laceration;
    2. Soft tissue dystocia [difficult birth, typically caused by a large or awkwardly positioned fetus, by smallness of the maternal pelvis, or by failure of the uterus and cervix to contract and expand normally.]
    3. A requirement to accelerate the birth delivery of a compromised fetus;
    4. A need to facilitate operative vaginal delivery;
    5. A history of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM).

    I had an episiotomy for my first baby, I also ended up with a 3rd degree tear. No epi for the second baby and a second degree tear. Cutting the tissue is going to weaken it and make tearing even more likely. Think of a piece of paper, if you make a cut in it then apply stress to that area then it's more likely to tear than if there was no initial cut.

    We need to have more faith in our bodies!! They are awesome!!
    Surely no dr would give an episiotomy unless it is required and noone would actually choose to have one if they were birthing with no issues.

    I don't think anyone doesn't have faith in their bodies to begin with. If I had continued to have faith in my body after 33hrs in labour I would have been in a hell of a mess I have no doubt and baby probably wouldn't have survived. Sometimes intervention is a necessity.

    If you are cut enough in the first place you shouldn't tear. I'm sure my ob could estimate how much I needed to be cut when the baby was coming hence no tearing.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 20-03-2014 at 12:49.

  6. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11,313
    Thanks
    1,749
    Thanked
    1,816
    Reviews
    24
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Surely no dr would give an episiotomy unless it is require

    If you are cut enough in the first place you shouldn't tear.
    My dr did. I was pushing for 3.5hrs, but instead of helping me into a better position he cut me. The baby was fine, he was not in distress.

    I got cut enough. I got a 3rd deg epi, that's from my vagina to my anus. My entire perenium. I then tore 4th degree from there. I am 100% positive that I did not need to be cut, if I wasn't cut I wouldn't have torn. So no I wont have blind trust in drs because they are 'experienced', and I will tell others my experience so they are careful too.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

    crazyaboutbubs  (20-03-2014)

  8. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    18,036
    Thanks
    1,422
    Thanked
    7,634
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    When you look at episiotomy rates between public and private, it's quite telling!

    http://www.mybirth.com.au/intervention/episiotomy.html

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

    IndigoJ  (21-03-2014)

  10. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    930
    Thanks
    779
    Thanked
    422
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sometimes you won't tear, which has happened to me with all 5 of my births.
    i was told after 2.5 hours of pushing with my first that I needed an episiotomy. He was crowning that whole time, he had a bump on his head for a week.
    every birth after the midwife had tried to avoid cutting to no avail.
    After my 3rd I was told by an ob that u have a longer perenium than usual and it won't stretch down. No idea if that's correct.
    as much as I'd love to avoid it, looks like I'll be going for a 6th cut in August. I'd still prefer to be cut there than have a section.
    My babies have always torn me inside as well, I guess because they are all born between 8 and 9lbs and I'm a size 8/10?


 

Similar Threads

  1. Birth after 3rd or 4th degree tear
    By futuremamma in forum Birth & Labour Questions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 18-02-2014, 07:31
  2. C-Section or Vaginal Birth after 4th Degree Tear?
    By ManchesterLass in forum Birth & Labour Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29-09-2013, 20:56
  3. TMI warning - 2nd degree tear bleeding
    By BrinnZiggy in forum Birth & Labour Questions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17-04-2013, 19:42

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Baby U & The Wiggles - Toilet Training ProductsToilet training can be a testing time but Baby U is there to assist you and your toddler with the daunting task of ...
REVIEWS
"Pigeon teats rule!"
by Alex
Pigeon PP Wide Neck reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›