Thanks
    Reviews

Default Fussy 13mth Old

I have a 13mth old boy - Bailey!He started on solids around 4and half mths and was an excellent eater no complaints until about 2 and half mths ago he has gone off most foods and its only starting to pick up now-He wont eat vegetables so the other day I pureed them up and he ate them fine but I thought at this stage of his devolpment he shouldnt need that!So i put him on incremin so he was still getting nutrients!I also find that if he wont eat sumthing of a spoon if I put it on a fork he will sometimes eat it- Im wondering if its him growing up and wanting to be independent or he doesnt like this food

Baileysmum05

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Reply: the pero clinic

Dear Baileysmum05,

It is not at all uncommon for little ones to develop fussiness around food or to suddenly want to assert their independence when it comes to food. Typical enthusiasm for eating can also be lost at times of teething and slowed growth (after about 12 months). While this can be frustrating, it is important to treat these phases as normal, and to not turn food into a battle of wills.

Itís great that you are being flexible in giving your little boy different textures and utensils to make meals more interesting. Offer him small portions of the meals you are eating, and eat meals with him where possible, to make him feel like one of the grown ups.

If his gums are possibly tender from emerging molars, provide him with purees and soft finger foods for a while.

Finally, it is also possible that he will refuse some foods for the next year or so, and then suddenly go back to liking them. Kids are confusing arenít they!

Keep your sonís interest in a varied diet by modifying foods and mealtimes to suit him Ė within reason. Continue to offer foods that he has previously refused Ė do not be surprised if he eats them, but donít be too frustrated if he doesnít.

the pero clinic