ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Did your "challenging" child improve after they started school?

My son is almost 5.5, and the last 3 years have been very very difficult - he's been anxious (generally and socially), extremely defiant, very high energy, constant family conflict. We were seeing a psychologist for a while, and I really felt our family was broken. I thought he probably had ODD and ADHD. He never really enjoyed daycare either.

He started prep this year, and he is like a different child. The school told me he has settled in well, made friends, participates and is a pleasure to have in the class. His behaviour at home is so much better too - much more compliant, agrees to go to bed earlier, concentrates longer, interested in learning, loves playing with friends and not really as reliant on us, very independent, better manners, speech has improved. He seems really happy and calm. I feel like I have my son back.

Have other people experienced this? It's been 5.5 weeks. I hope it's not just an extended honeymoon period?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I could have written your post! DS1 is 6 in two weeks, and is in grade 1. We saw a huuuuge improvement in his behaviour when he started school. The defiance lessened, and he began actually trying to control his outbursts. His behaviour at school is fantastic, at home, very different. We have good days and bad days, and i do feel that there was a bit of a honeymoon period. Though overall, it has been a good thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I found the exact opposite with Ds1.
    Hee was an angel until he started school now he is on his second year and I want to pull him out.
    He was just starting to get back to normal the last few weeks pof the holidays now he has gone back to being a toad.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LlamaMa View Post
    I could have written your post! DS1 is 6 in two weeks, and is in grade 1. We saw a huuuuge improvement in his behaviour when he started school. The defiance lessened, and he began actually trying to control his outbursts. His behaviour at school is fantastic, at home, very different. We have good days and bad days, and i do feel that there was a bit of a honeymoon period. Though overall, it has been a good thing.
    I wonder if it's the structure and routine, and it wears them out? Who knows. Maybe I'm just a really bad parent, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by DueInAugust View Post
    I found the exact opposite with Ds1.
    Hee was an angel until he started school now he is on his second year and I want to pull him out.
    He was just starting to get back to normal the last few weeks pof the holidays now he has gone back to being a toad.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Oh no. Does he dislike school? Is there something there that is making him miserable.

I am not sure how school holidays will go. There are certainly a lot of them...too many, I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    I wonder if it's the structure and routine, and it wears them out? Who knows. Maybe I'm just a really bad parent
    I definitely feel the structure and routine have helped. He thrives on routine, and acts out with change. And no, house aren't a bad parent!!