+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 22 month old won't eat dinner?

My son loves food - he eats breakfast, lunch and morning and afternoon tea with pleasure, and asks for food whenever he is hungry during the day. He eats quite healthily, and eats good portion sizes for his age. But no matter what I do, he will not eat dinner!
    He usually has a few mouthfuls and then tips the whole bowl of food out onto the high chair and then flicks it all over the floor. He never seems to be hungry afterwards and I don't offer him anything else. It's just so frustrating!

Does anyone know why he might be doing this and/or what I can do to get him to eat his dinner? Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Is he snacking too late in the afternoon? Or could you serve dinner earlier in the day then a little snack before bed?

DS1 went through a similar phase around 2. He is a grazer, so was eating lots during the day and was always asking for food around the time I was prepping dinner, so he'd snack late and not eat tea. I cut out the late snacks and moved dinner forard a little and he ate better at dinner time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Give him les in the day. When DD is with my parents she eats sooooo much and eats little or nothing for dinner. If she's with my MIL, who is stingy with food she will eat bucket loads for dinner

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I wouldn't stress over dinner, at that age they do graze a lot so as long as he is getting his daily food requirements during the day it's not worth the drama , just keep offering and eating together and he might start to join in or as pp said stop the snacks in the afternoon but just don't make dinner a big deal and not sure if you give milk before bed but is stop that if you do

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 18 month old is the same will eat all day but not dinner, hates veges and meat won't even put it in his mouth spits it straight out and throws it on the floor. Hoping its a phase...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not really giving him anything after about 4 and we have dinner at 530/6.
    I don't want to make his dinner earlier because I want him to learn that we all eat dinner as a family. He does eat a little bit, but yeh during the day he eats well so maybe it will just pass.