+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 86
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,934
    Thanks
    1,700
    Thanked
    2,227
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Only have a daughter, but we use correct terminology - vagina, vulva, labia, penis... I don't think testicles has come up. My daughter's only 16 months, but I try to use those in just the same way as I would with any other body part.
    Eg. "I need to wipe your vulva now" (when changing nappy) or "yes, that's daddy's penis" (when pointing to her naked father and looking curious).

    I feel like using nicknames for body parts keeps kids from understanding their own bodies well, purely for the comfort of adults.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,879
    Thanks
    992
    Thanked
    3,344
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    Only have a daughter, but we use correct terminology - vagina, vulva, labia, penis... I don't think testicles has come up. My daughter's only 16 months, but I try to use those in just the same way as I would with any other body part.
    Eg. "I need to wipe your vulva now" (when changing nappy) or "yes, that's daddy's penis" (when pointing to her naked father and looking curious).

    I feel like using nicknames for body parts keeps kids from understanding their own bodies well, purely for the comfort of adults.
    I'm not sure how my son would have any less understanding of his body due to him calling it a doodle. He knows (at an age appropriate level) what it does - how would calling it a penis make him understand better??

    BTW - I have no issue with people calling it a penis with their children

    For the record I also say butt, tummy & footsies to my boys. Man they'll have no idea what to sit on, where their food ends up or what to put their shoes on :/
    Last edited by Theboys&me; 15-02-2014 at 22:40.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

    Pesca77  (16-02-2014)

  4. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    987
    Thanks
    226
    Thanked
    500
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I started referring to it as a penis, but my husband calls it a 'wing wong' in front of our little boy. God only knows why he came up with that name, but it's stuck and I just refer to it as a 'wing wong' now too. When our little boy gets older, then I'll certainly tell him that it's actually called a penis, but for the moment, I'm happy to leave it as a 'wing wong' - it's actually kind of cute.

  5. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    22,165
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    1,894
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I say penis and DS says willy. My sister taught him to say that despite the fact i told her i prefer him to say penis.

    Undies here too. Sometimes DS will call them underwears which is cute the way he says it.

    Sent from my GT-I9506 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  6. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    920
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked
    67
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by siesmum View Post
    My dd was having a shower with dh once and asked why daddy has a sausage he was so shocked. I just told her it is dads p.enis then ran off laughing like a school kid it was so cute and the look on dh's face was priceless

    Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

    The first time DD1 mentioned DH's she asked about his tail.

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to abibelsmum For This Useful Post:

    GirlsRock  (16-02-2014),NewMrs  (16-02-2014),Redcorset  (16-02-2014)

  8. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,934
    Thanks
    1,700
    Thanked
    2,227
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    I'm not sure how my son would have any less understanding of his body due to him calling it a doodle. He knows (at an age appropriate level) what it does - how would calling it a penis make him understand better??
    Sorry if you took offense there, wasn't picking on you :P
    I guess I'm thinking more with regard to girls. Actually, female anatomy for both boys & girls. The number of teenagers I've come across when teaching sex ed who wouldn't have a clue what a clitoris is, or have never heard the word labia.

    To me there's a difference between using a nickname as a general rule whilst still knowing correct anatomy, and not actually teaching correct anatomy though. I see the latter as denying a child information, which I can't see any justification for. As the saying goes, knowledge is power. Obviously names are only a small part of that, but I see using correct terminology as not only giving kids the language to describe their own body, but sends the message that genitals aren't just something for hush-hush discussion and jokes, but something that adults are willing to discuss seriously should you have any issues. Less a problem with younger kids of course, as they're generaly pretty happy to talk to anyone about genitals

  9. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,879
    Thanks
    992
    Thanked
    3,344
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    Sorry if you took offense there, wasn't picking on you :P
    I guess I'm thinking more with regard to girls. Actually, female anatomy for both boys & girls. The number of teenagers I've come across when teaching sex ed who wouldn't have a clue what a clitoris is, or have never heard the word labia.

    To me there's a difference between using a nickname as a general rule whilst still knowing correct anatomy, and not actually teaching correct anatomy though. I see the latter as denying a child information, which I can't see any justification for. As the saying goes, knowledge is power. Obviously names are only a small part of that, but I see using correct terminology as not only giving kids the language to describe their own body, but sends the message that genitals aren't just something for hush-hush discussion and jokes, but something that adults are willing to discuss seriously should you have any issues. Less a problem with younger kids of course, as they're generaly pretty happy to talk to anyone about genitals
    No offence taken I was genuinely curious as to how you thought it would make them unable to understand.

    But in saying that - I did just have to google what a vulva was halfway through this thread so perhaps I'm not so equipped to educate my kids in that area.

    Funnily enough I had to run s3x ed at school a few years ago ... But it was only to a year 5 class and there was no labelling of bits required. I really just chucked on the 'where do I come from' video and answered any questions which usually only came from the girl group about periods and the boy group weren't interested in knowing anything beyond the video.

  10. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    8,544
    Thanks
    1,351
    Thanked
    2,307
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've refer to it as a penis or a pecker....

  11. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    682
    Thanks
    329
    Thanked
    379
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My sister in law calls it a willy. Great thread btw. Was only just talking about this with dh for our daughter yesterday.

  12. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Darwin, NT
    Posts
    594
    Thanks
    79
    Thanked
    244
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Doogers. Or bits.


 
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Boy Bits...
    By TotSnot in forum General Child Health Issues
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30-08-2013, 09:21
  2. Twitching bits
    By mummabear90 in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2013, 22:10
  3. SOS: What bits do you take v leave?
    By VicPark in forum General Sleeping & Settling Chat
    Replies: 124
    Last Post: 25-06-2013, 22:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
House Call DoctorHouse Call Doctor can provide an urgent after-hours visit to you and your family, when urgent medical situations arise ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
REVIEWS
"Pigeon teats rule!"
by Alex
Pigeon PP Wide Neck reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›