+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I had a drug free birth first time around. The midwives said I couldn't have anything because my labour was too short (1.5hrs).
    2nd time around I was offered a shot of pethadine towards the end. The midwives said it was a bit pointless at that stage but I took it anyway. It pretty much just put me to sleep.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies - just the responses I needed to read when I was awake having doubts at 3am this morning!!
    And congrats on all your beautiful births, c/s, drugs/no drugs etc- all an amazing achievement

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had ds1 with some drugs (he as induced, I had one shot of pethidine and gas), then ds2 with none and a very quick labor, and ds3 much the same though not quite as quick.

One thing I can say though is dont be blase, I mean I know we know it will hurt and everything, but in prep for labour dont just assume it will be easy because youve done it before. I did this with ds3, I assumed that because ds2 was so quick and easy ds3 would be too. And while it was a very straight forward labour and delivery, I lost it a bit during the labour as I hadnt done any of the self talk, I didnt have any breathing techniques that I had thought about and practiced, I just assumed it would happen.

With this bub, althouh I know I will have drug free and it will probably be quick, I have been preparing with some hypnobirthing techniques etc so that I know im prepared once in labour and dont just assume it will happen...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I had drug free for both of my labours. The first one was much much longer but less painful for some reason, I was able to get in a comfortable position and really stay in the zone. The second one was 1/3 of the length but I could not get comfy and felt like I was fighting it the whole time. It did not even occur to me to ask for pain relief to be honest (I had written on my birth plan not to offer pain relief so they didn't)

I did however ask for a panadol for the after birth pains, the second time around they were awful!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yip I had both my DS's drug free. DS2 was last Monday actually (3rd feb).

Both my births have been very quick though, 1st was 2.5 hrs and 2nd was 1hr19 mins!

I say go with the flow. each birth is different. 2nd time round for me was more difficult as I was induced and it all happened so quickly. I had 2nd degree tearing again (which seemed worse than the first time).

Although I did manage it drug free (apart from gas) I also did ask for an epidural as my contractions were coming every 30 seconds or so from the start.

Stay positive about it and just keep focused

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    First time round, drug free, walked and kept active, 12 hr labour, natural delivery.
    Second time round, drug free, shower and birth pool, 3 hr labour, natural water delivery.

The second time was easier because I knew what was happening. I knew my last labour was long because I was scared, so the next time I was determined that it would be quick. I vocalized and used my voice for every contraction. I focused on keeping my pelvis opened and on my breathing. I knew all the pain would go away once baby was out, and that kept me going. It was a wonderful experience, overall

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I didn't have any drugs with either of my labours. I had short labours anyway a and my second daughter was an unplanned home birth anyway. I hope I can do it without drugs this time, though not really looking forward to the pain. Hopefully it's another short, easy labour again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both DD1 and DD2 were drug free with the second time round being much quicker and calmer. While pregnant with DD2 my midwife gave me these series of quotes from Ina May Gaskin that I found really helped in working through the pain, keeping my sense of humour and 'enjoying' the process:

Advice for Mother at the time of Birth
    • At a birthing, the mother is the main channel of life force. If she is cooperative and selfless and brave, it makes there be more energy for everyone, including her baby who is getting born. Giving somebody some makes you and everyone else feel good. You don’t have your baby out yet to cuddle and hold, so giving the midwives and your husband some is giving your baby some.
    • During a rush, keep your eyes open, and keep paying attention to those around you and to what’s happening. If you feel afraid or if something is happening that makes you uptight, report it- the midwives can help you sort it out until it feels good
    • Don’t complain, it makes things worse. If you usually complain, practice not doing it during pregnancy. It will build character.
    • Talk nice, it will keep your bottom loose so it can open up easier. It’s okay to ask the midwives or your husband to do something to you, like rub legs or get a glass of water. Ask real nice and give folks some when they do something for you.
    • Be grateful that you’re having a baby, and be grateful to your partner who’s helping you- it’s an experience that you only do a few times in your life, so make the very most of it, and get your head in a place where you can get as high as possible.
    • Remember you have a real, live baby in there. Sometimes it’s such an intense trip having a baby that you can forget what’s for!
    • Learn how to relax- it’s something that requires attention. You may have to put out some effort to gather your attention together enough that you can relax.
    • Keep your sense oh humor- it’s a priceless gem which keeps you remembering where it’s at. If you can’t be a hero, you can at least be funny while being a chicken.
    • Remember your monkey self knows how to do this really well. Your brain isn’t very reliable as a guide of how to be during childbirth, but your monkey self is.
    Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had gas at first with DS but I don't think I was using it right as it wasn't doing much. After about 5 hours of labour, I asked for pethadine as I couldn't cope with the pain any more. I have a very low pain threshold so I was freaking out as the contractions increased. The pethadine also did nothing apart from make me doped out and unable to move much. I still felt everything though.
    This time round I was panicking over labour because of how much it hurt the first time and the fact that it was an 8 hour labour.
    When I got to hospital with DD, I was only 3cm and the contractions were very intense. There was no way I could do that for another 5 or 6 hours (which is how long it took from 3cm - 10cm with DS) so I asked for an epidural. The doc came and was getting ready to take bloods and get the epi ready when my waters broke. 10 minutes and 6 contractions later, DD was born on the bathroom floor. I went from 3cm to delivering my girl in 20 minutes. I had no chance to have any drugs with her as it all happened so quickly. Mind you, it was a much more intense and I think painful labour because it was so quick. I don't know what's better, slow but paced out or quick and strong lol.
    Either way, I survived both deliveries

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    First time, nothing.

Second time, I demanded gas as soon as I got to the birthing suite.

I think the reason I did this is because I freaked myself out. I truly believe I could have had a drug free labour second time around but once the pain started I worked myself up.

All the best OP

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app