+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 1 year old cot issues

Hi all,
    Just a question to see if anyone else has been through the same situation. My dd will be 1 next week and the last month has been waking up a few times through the night. Sometime I can give her the dummy and settle her other times too uncontrollable and out of me being lazy ill pick her up and put her in bed with us. Now I don't know if that has contributed to this new thing but In the last 2 weeks she has been waking up extremely early anywhere from 4am - 6am and to get her to sleep that little bit longer again ill put her in bed with us and she'll sleep till 7-7.30. That's not a problem for us my problem now is she doesn't want to be held for her day sleeps. Will kick and scream but as soon as I lay her on our bed and I lie next to her she's asleep in point 4 of a second! She has always been held to sleep and never had a problem (unfortunalty I tried cc but couldn't cope) but I was happy to hold her as she would fall asleep within a few minutes so I didn't mind. But now she doesn't even want that. I've tried lying her on her little couch with me next to her doesn't like that either. Last night we battled for 40 min then I gave up put her in my bed and she was asleep in no time. Once she's asleep I put her in her cot which is no problem it's just that if she wakes again I have to the whole process of putting her in our bed and then moving her once asleep.
    Any advice? Is it time for a toddler bed? I think she's way too little for it but she seems to hate her cot??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have not had these issues but could you try a mattress on the floor first.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep, she's used to you being next to her

If you really want to stop it you'll have to wean her off.. Try putting her in her cot and having her hold your hand, then when she's ok with that, touch her leg, then try just making shhh sounds until you're able to leave her by herself.

Ds1 was and still is a terrible sleeper and it's coupled by the fact that we always allowed him to sleep with us coz we were too tired to put him back in his cot.

Ds2, happy to sleep in his bed no prob.

I'm due with ds3 in 3 weeks time and he still crawls into bed with us. So we're going to have to pull out some big guns soon, or hope that 3 days of preschool knackers him out enough that he doesn't wake.

Good luck, it's so nice to snuggle with your kids but it ends up being a pain in the but to fix!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The bad thing is when I do out her in bed with us ill say to myself 5 minutes and ill move her.... Well usually 5 hours goes by and she's still in bed with us because I've fallen asleep. Will have to try the weaning thing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I side car the cot.
    Our bed is just taller than the cot mattress sits. I have the side rail of the cot under my mattress so he can't fall off and I use a toddler bed rail for during the day so he can't get out of the cot.
    He has now started rolling away from me when he is done feeding at night. Plus I can feed him to sleep in the cot and move away when he is asleep.
    Not for everyone but works for us.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've just had the worst hour of trying to get dd to sleep tonight. Our bed didn't work either. I have tried everything and now I put her in her cot and trying cc. It is breaking my heart. I literally feel like I'm going to throw up! I keep wanting to go in but her cry is getting less and less. At one stage I did go in to comfort her and noticed she wasn't even crying.. As in no tears just lots of sooking. I think she has tired herself out and I'm hoping she's asleep for the night. We'll see. Wish I didn't have to go to the extent of controlled crying I really didn't want to but after an hour of trying I just didn't know what else to do

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you sure she's not overtired, or is she teething, or some other factor?

Sometimes you just have to give in and give a good cuddle.
    Ds2 has always been a champion sleeper but when he was 8-9 months he'd just go thru periods of screaming his head off.. Literally the only thing that worked was to bring out his bassinet (that he grew out of months earlier) and rock him in it, and then he'd settle. It only happened for a period of 2-3 weeks but sometimes you just gotta do what works.

Don't be disheartened I'm sure it will get better

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    Are you sure she's not overtired, or is she teething, or some other factor?

Sometimes you just have to give in and give a good cuddle.
    Ds2 has always been a champion sleeper but when he was 8-9 months he'd just go thru periods of screaming his head off.. Literally the only thing that worked was to bring out his bassinet (that he grew out of months earlier) and rock him in it, and then he'd settle. It only happened for a period of 2-3 weeks but sometimes you just gotta do what works.

Don't be disheartened I'm sure it will get better
    I'm hoping its just a phase too. I have tried with cuddles but she doesn't even want that! Just kicks and jumps around till I give in and let her sit up. She may be overtired though, havnt thought of that one. Will try half an hour earlier tomorrow night.
    Thanks for the advice everyone πŸ˜„

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you leave her in your bed for naps? I used to feed my Lo to sleep on the bed and then sneak out. They had a good sleep, and i got a break. win win.

I also don't see a problem with morning cosleeping. if you get sleep, and baby gets sleep, go with it!

Side carring the cot might be a compromise - gives her her own sleep surface, but easy for you to lay on your bed to help her to sleep.

If you are used to her in a separate room, it might feel like a step backwards though. If you wanted to try a bed, I would recommend getting a single or king single that you can lie in (or sit) next to her, rather than a toddler bed.

good luck.