+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We found another great way to save money is to meal plan. I buy our meat in bulk, and plan off what I buy on special. I buy as much fruit and veg in bulk as I can too. We are a family of 5, and two dogs. I cook most of our meals from scratch, and avoid packaged food as much as possible, including dog food.
    Also, times like this (school holidays) I find lots of fun, free things to do. Our local library has plenty of free activities!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We recently added up all of our bills and it came to about $24k per year. In an effort to reduce this, we implemented the following:

Called foxtel yesterday and asked to be disconnected. They offered to reduce our monthly bill from $84 to $49 to keep us connected but we had to agree to sign a 6 month contract. We declined and will soon be disconnected.

Finished having babies now so cancelled maternity cover on our private health insurance which will save us $50 per month.

My husband is changing gyms to one of those 24 hour ones, which will reduce his monthly fee from $80 to $50.

I am going to cancel my gym membership because I have started running. This will save us $70 per month.

The other major cost for us was insurance. Including home, car, motorbike and boat. When they come up for renewal we will be shopping around for a better deal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    High interest saving accounts are fantastic and often have no fees .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Savings on insurances can be huge if you shop around. Also, in regards to food, I have become an impulse shopper- whatever is on super special that week- then I cook in bulk so I use it all up- this is for meat and veg- then freeze meals. No more chucking out dead veges! Sometimes, things will be marked down 80 percent so I buy that on impulse and use that. I buy bulk luxury items (eg tuna tins) when 50% off- if I run out, I wait til the sale again. I always buy generic brands where the product is as good (or the same!). I also try to have a few days a week where I consciously spend no money at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just rang foxtel and got our account reduced by $15 a month and rang the internet company and got the internet reduced by $20 a month. I'm an awesome meal planner already so not much I can really change there I also but quiet abit of no brand products.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How did you get them to drop the prices?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I rang up and said I wanted to be transferred to cancelations and told them that I thought it was to expensive and I couldn't afford it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to our4boys For This Useful Post:

peoniesarepretty  (15-01-2014)