+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default New job without references...?

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice. I have been in my first professional job for approx 2 years. I have had a hard year for various reasons and I would like to get a new job. Thing is, I can't get a new job without references, and the referees I have are my bosses :/ I can't ask them to referee me without first quitting (politics - hard to explain but this is definitely the case), and I can't quit until I get a new job. It's a horrible catch 22.

This is a bit of a unique situation, the team is small and I only have my bosses as proper referees. The other team members would not be able to be my referees for a professional job. I have no idea how to apply for jobs without giving references as most applications require 2-3.

How can I get around these rules!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You could say that your references are available on request them only give them out when you are about to be offered the job.

Or do you have a colleague or manager from another department you could ask to referee for you in confidence?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Most professional orgs will give an offer subject to ref checks. So you get the offer, then can give notice and your current boss can give a ref check. You are only in danger if it's a bad reference!