+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default AZFC microdeletion

Hi All,
    We seem to have finally come to the cause of our issues with conceiving. My partner was recently diagnosed with AZFC microdeletion.
    I'm not sure if I even really understand it yet but we are getting our heads around it.

Our doctor would like to start and IVF cycle and perform the extremely invasive and painful operation on my partner at the same time. I have some reservations about doing this as there is only a 50% chance they will find sperm during his operation.I have concerns as to if we should go through the expense and stress of an IVF cycle until we know he is producing sperms at all. I fear that if he is not then this may be a huge heartbreak.

Does anyone know if there is a reason behind why they want to do it at the same time? From what I have read freezing sperm doesn't seem to have a large impact on the sperm? Thoughts on freezing and getting my partner back on his feet before starting IVF?

Also have concerns about passing this microdeletion onto our children? Does anyone know if it is only in boys? And will it definatley get passed onto our children or is there just a chance?

Any advice on this topic for those that are going or have been through it would be amazing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Shelson, you should join us ladies on the azoospermia thread. Probably will get more replies. I just came across your post by chance. Also i learned a lot from the ladies there.

I dont recall. It really depends on which deletion part of the gene. One has higher chance than the other. I haven't done so much research on microdeletion because hubby has different cause. Af far as i know, it will pass onto the child.

They want to do mTESE on the same day because the sperms (if found) are small in number, which might not survive the thaw. On the other hand, the cornell scientists believe that mtese done a day before egg collection increases the chance of finding more sperms because they can spend more time looking for them. There is only 4--6 hr window that the eggs have to be used after retrieval. That means on the same day, the scientists and the surgeon are under pressure to fit into that window.

MicroTESE is once and for all surgery. It is invasive. i strongly discourage doing needle aspiration in the azoo case because it harms the fragile testes. If it isnt the obstructive azoo case, it might worth it. With azoo, u r looking into so small number. Single digit. Also once they open up, they have better idea for the health of the testes. Our chance dropped to 5% from 47%.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You can see my recent story on the azoo thread. Some ppl can come to peace with the donor without giving mtese a try but we cant. We didnt want to wonder what if so we went with it despite the stress. Hubby isnt ok with the donor. It isnt over for us yet and we r praying for the miracle.