+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post
    I had only one proper coffee a day. Hut that was same pre pregnancy. I also had caffeine from soft drinks. There are preservative numbers you have to watch out for that you can't have in soft drink too

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I've never heard of any preservative numbers you can't have or seen it on any literature? Do you have a link to that info? It's not mentioned on the good authority guidelines or anything the Hosp gave me last time?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I had my deli meats and seafood, piping hot on pizzas or in a toastie - same with my soft chesses - Pancetta, sundried tomato, camenbert, baby spinach turkish bread toastie anyone?!

I had no caffeine in my first trimester with my first two, just couldn't stomach it. I had one coffee and maybe one cola drink a day with my third as I just craved it. He was born at 31 weeks due to my health issues and had he caffeine in the nicu (as prem babies do, to stimulate their brains to remind them to breathe). He was my coffee babe!

OP, I find with this issue (dietary guidelines) everyone has an opinion and it's absolutely best to jot down your queries regarding food and to ask your care provider.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My advice is don't stress and over think it. The stress your putting your self is worse then the possibility of listeria. Listeria itself is very uncommon and you just have to be smart. Have a lil gander at the list below and see what you think. If you ever unsure don't do it but you can always ask for something to be heated in the micro if your concerned.

At food court:
    Any kind of soup from an Asian kind of shop or a pad thai if it's made fresh,
    Chicken & chips from nandos,
    Fish and chips,
    The spud shop they are always fresh,
    Just ask people will be more than happy to make something fresh for you.

Yes deli meats aren't good if they are cold but you can still have ham & cheese toasty/croissant if the meat is hot. Salami in pasta, Brie if it's hot so it kills all the bacteria.

Fresh fruit and veg are fine so long as they are not old and washed properly.

Best of luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Listeria poisoning is soooooooooo low in Australia! 3 per 100,000 people will get listeria! I think your odds are good!
    I've just had my first baby and initially i was like you but it does get easier as time goes on.
    All I changed was no deli meat unless hot (I don't really eat much of that anyway) and no soft cheese (or that) and no raw fish (sashimi i missed the most) You can eat cream cheese.
    A girlfriend Of mine has three healthy kids and she didn't alter a thing in how she ate!
    I'm not saying be reckless and eat everything from everywhere but ease up on yourself, you will do just fine!
    My obs said to me everything but raw fish is fine... And a friends obs told her listeria is so uncommon in Australia she could eat how she liked.
    We are lucky we have such high food safety guidelines that the cast majority of food outlets/cafés/restaurants are up to scratch.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I eat everything bar soft cheese, deli meats, raw fish, under cooked meats/eggs.
    I always have subway & have the meat heated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm going to miss soft cheeses this Christmas breakfast but apart from that, we've 'modified' Christmas a little so I can still enjoy other things I love - will be cooking pieces of ham off the bone and also buying green prawns and cooking ourselves as prawns are my favourite and Christmas won't be Christmas without prawns!

I've found food courts can be hard too but as someone else mentioned, a hot fresh cooked Chinese meal would be fine (I wouldn't buy from the window but order a specially made dish instead). I've also taken to having pide made fresh while I wait - I've been craving spinach and cheese pide and have had a couple, again just not the pre made ones in the window.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got Subway from the shady 24 On-The-Run tonight and once I had it in front of me, I couldn't eat it. Kept staring at it suspiciously without realizing why. This thread made me realize why. My subconscious = super paranoid. Thanks for reminding me ^_^

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Heartstringz - take a deep breath! I know it seems overwhelming but it's really not that dire, I promise

I asked my OB during my first pregnancy what the deal was with all these restrictions. I used to go to the gym at lunchtime 3 times a week and on the way back to the office I would grab a salad from a place near work. It was a very high turn over place, the food was prepared fresh onsite and the salads made to order. People started telling me I shouldn't be eating salads so I asked my OB - he basically said people are full of it lol! He said he hadn't had a patient with Listeria in 30yrs and I should eat whatever I want, within reason (obviously avoid the really high risk things like food that's been sitting out lukewarm for hours etc).

So the rules I follow:
    - if it's hot and fresh, go for it
    - if I make it at home, it's fine
    - don't eat raw meats or eggs
    - stick to clean, high turnover food places when out and always try to get freshly made food
    - eat vegetarian often

At foodcourts go for things like vegetarian noodle soups or stir fried noodles, they are cooked fresh at a high heat and opting for vegetarian will reduce any risk from the meats.

For Christmas you should be able to eat lots of things. I'm not sure where you're going for Christmas lunch/dinner but can you organise ahead of time to have things like potato bake, roast veggies etc? Maybe you could take it or ask the host about the food? I'd eat freshly made salads without hesitation. If all else fails, bread is your friend!

You'll get used to it really quickly, trust me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been bombarded with opinions from everyone on what I shouldn't be eating. Its so hard not to get caught up in it, but for you're own sanity its best to take a more relaxed approach, whilst remaining aware of foods with really high risk.
    Deli meat (I really only eat ham), are fine as long as really hot, so homemade pizza is amazing!
    I'm going to miss soft cheese this xmas, but there are so many hard cheese which are yummo I won't miss it for long.
    I am going to eat poached eggs for brekky, I REALLY miss my dippy egg, but I figure if I buy fresh eggs, and cook em up myself... once isn't going to hurt, but if my cravings persist someone else may do..

Xmas food, there should be plenty you can eat. If you're table usually consists of cost meats, chicken etc, nuke it, once its hot any bacteria cannot survive.
    I'm personally looking forward to our roast ham, straight out the oven, along with garden salad and potato bake mmm..
    We make everything ourselves and I'll just refrain from seconds if its been sitting on the table.

Being pregnant doesn't mean you should stop enjoying food. the responses here reminded me of the really high standards of food preparation we have in Aust, and even though I don't eat out often I'll be picking hot options when I do.
    My attempts at eating Indian and asian foods recently ended up with a terrible tummy, not from the food being bad at all, just my body not accepting the richness of the food, seems to match my attempts at pasta's and heavier dishes..

Thanks
    Reviews