+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The shop assistant should of directed her concern to the parent in the situation - not the child.

Regardless of the subject matter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    LOL my DS would put on his know it all voice and say 'oh *i* think there will be'
    Your DS sounds like he'd be able to handle a kid dissin' Santa quite well

Sent from my LT15i using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    For me the issue is there was a parent there, who going from the OP I believe should have been far quicker at cracking down on her DS saying something like that in public. In the school yard, yeah not much you can do. A 5 year old with his mum, that shouldn't be happening. And it's the difference between 'I don't believe' and 'Santa isn't real'
    Sorry But what the hell.

I have already said I did ask my ds to stop. I am sorry i don't have magic powers to stop to know what is going to come out of my child mouth before it happens. He wasn't singing at the top of his lung nor was singing for a long time. He sang it as we passed the staff member.

As for CRACKING DOWN on him. You have to be joking. I will never crack down on my child for comforting his sibling and telling the truth. I have talked to him about not telling other children (outside our family) that santa is not real, Which he has never done.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (28-11-2013),FiveInTheBed  (27-11-2013),MilkingMaid  (30-12-2013),misskittyfantastico  (27-11-2013),MissMuppet  (27-11-2013),NoteToSelf  (27-11-2013),Purple Lily  (27-11-2013),~Marigold~  (27-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If it wasn't at the top of his lungs, then I think the staff member needs to stfu and put her big girl panties on.

I'd call the store and express that what the staff member did isn't okay (actually, it isn't regardless), and that you'd like her spoken to as to how inappropriate her behavior and actions were.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (27-11-2013),MissMuppet  (27-11-2013),Purple Lily  (27-11-2013),~Marigold~  (27-11-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    Sorry But what the hell.

I have already said I did ask my ds to stop. I am sorry i don't have magic powers to stop to know what is going to come out of my child mouth before it happens. He wasn't singing at the top of his lung nor was singing for a long time. He sang it as we passed the staff member.

As for CRACKING DOWN on him. You have to be joking. I will never crack down on my child for comforting his sibling and telling the truth. I have talked to him about not telling other children (outside our family) that santa is not real, Which he has never done.
    And *I* said I was going by your OP, where you didn't mention that. That's why I mentioned your OP, and my thoughts on just that information. You didn't say he wasn't singing loudly. You didn't say you told him to stop. So that was my reaction to your initial information. But it could have been another kid who walked past and heard, and cried for 45 minutes. It's not outrageous that another adult told him it wasn't on. Because it's not on. And if my kid said something like that in public I would tell them sternly to stop. And finally I don't think it's right to teach your kids that Santa isn't real, not in those terms. I don't agree with it at all. I don't agree with teaching kids that our beliefs are real and other people's beliefs are made up. I don't care if it's 'just Santa', I think there is a principle there about respecting other people's beliefs, even if those people happen to be little.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

dee1  (27-11-2013),haveheart  (27-11-2013),TimeForWine  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm kind of spun out that people are putting Santa in with 'belief systems'.

The shop assistant was way out of line.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (28-11-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    I'm kind of spun out that people are putting Santa in with 'belief systems'.

The shop assistant was way out of line.
    Mm. It's not that surprising. For a little kid, their belief in Santa can match an adults devout belief in God. It seems weird to adults who know Santa is just mum and dad who put presents under the tree, but there it is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    And *I* said I was going by your OP, where you didn't mention that. That's why I mentioned your OP, and my thoughts on just that information. You didn't say he wasn't singing loudly. You didn't say you told him to stop. So that was my reaction to your initial information. But it could have been another kid who walked past and heard, and cried for 45 minutes. It's not outrageous that another adult told him it wasn't on. Because it's not on. And if my kid said something like that in public I would tell them sternly to stop. And finally I don't think it's right to teach your kids that Santa isn't real, not in those terms. I don't agree with it at all. I don't agree with teaching kids that our beliefs are real and other people's beliefs are made up. I don't care if it's 'just Santa', I think there is a principle there about respecting other people's beliefs, even if those people happen to be little.
    We will just have to agree to disagree on that one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well I just tell my kids that Santa only comes to the people who believe in him ... I think his belief will be cemented for some time

OP - I think if she was actually as abrupt as you are indicating then that's quite rude of her. If she just asked him to cease singing those words as it may spoil the cheer for others ... Well I don't see that as an issue and I would do the same to any child in my work place.
    Last edited by Theboys&me; 27-11-2013 at 23:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Because it's not on. And if my kid said something like that in public I would tell them sternly to stop. And finally I don't think it's right to teach your kids that Santa isn't real, not in those terms. I don't agree with it at all. I don't agree with teaching kids that our beliefs are real and other people's beliefs are made up. I don't care if it's 'just Santa', I think there is a principle there about respecting other people's beliefs, even if those people happen to be little.
    Say a your child comes home from school or the shops, upset - because another child has told him there is a bogey monster waiting outside his window at night time, ready to gobble him up if he gets out of bed.

You wouldn't tell your child it is made up nonsense?!

Some people use this 'belief' in a mythical monster as a type of discipline...
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 27-11-2013 at 23:11.