+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Getting feedback on CV

I recently applied for a new role and was more than qualified for this job (I was applying for a role that paid less than my role prior to having DD) so was very surprised I didn't even get a first interview.

I can only think of two possible reasons why I didn't even get an interview - they were either put off by my ethnic surname or that I havent worked for 1.5 years (I resigned from my last role prior to giving birth to DD and moved interstate to qld).

If you were in my position would you reply and ask for feedback on why your job application was not successful?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Absolutely. I would ask.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (26-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely would ask for review...
    Last edited by Mrsmissy; 26-11-2013 at 21:55.

babycake is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Funniest Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I would, I have done this before. Just ring and ask to speak with the person who received your application. Just be polite and friendly and just say that you are looking for any feedback good or bad.
    Don't forget to thank them for their time when you are finished chatting. Perhaps they may even think oh bugger,should have interviewed her . Also if the feedback was mostly positive just ask them to keep you in mind for future positions.
    Good Luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What type of role was it for? It may well have been because of your time out of the workforce if it is a highly competitive role with lots of applicants.

Also has someone proof read your CV?

There is no harm in asking for feedback but don't be surprised if you get a generic response

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is a financial planning role.
    I've obtained my CFP which is a higher qualification that they asked for and have 6 years experience. The role also paid $10k less than my last role which is the bit that annoys me..... I was happy to go for less pay and didn't even get a chance of an interview.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could it be because you were over qualified? Employers have a reluctance to hire over qualified applicants as they believe they are just being used as a stepping stone

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

LadyInWeighting  (26-11-2013),Pumpkin1106  (02-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Daptoamy View Post
    Could it be because you were over qualified? Employers have a reluctance to hire over qualified applicants as they believe they are just being used as a stepping stone
    This^

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Also a few times the role can be filled internally and no external applicants end up with an interview

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daptoamy View Post
    Definitely this. At my work we often had people who were majorly overqualified for the job just to get into the company. And when you have 50-100 applicants, it's not worth interviewing them when you might have 10 that are perfect right now and look like a good long term prospect. I know that's not what you're doing but sometimes when recruiting it's a short window of time and a lot of applicants to go through, and you have to short list somehow