+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Any vets on here? Dog afraid of storms.

Our dog is beyond terrified of storms. One year we weren't home and came home to find he scratched so hard at the door he ripped off 6 claws and the pads on his feet. Anyway it's wet season here and whenever there is big rain wind or any thunder he goes crazy. Scratching, howling, it wakes me up, the kids, the baby...and I'm sure the neighbour's. We tie him up in the shed ( he's an outdoor dog) but the wet is here for another 4m. What can I do? Any ideas? I was up from 2am to 3 am because of the dog the other night. We give him valium on fire cracker night but he won't eat when the storms are on so he won't take a tablet. It's driving me crazy!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've heard these are meant to help a lot with pets that get anxiety with storms and fireworks:

http://www.thundershirt.com/Product/...9-331dda09637e

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ps: after reading about the above link I actually tried the theory they use about pressure having a calming effect one time when our cat was stressed--I wrapped a blanket around her and held her firmly in the areas the coat would, it did calm her down and after about 5-10 mins she just went and laid down.

Eta: would you consider bringing him inside, being with you guys may help him stay calm as well.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 14-11-2013 at 02:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes those thunder blankets are meant to be good. Can you bring your dog into the laundry perhaps? I had a dog scared of storms but she was an indoor dog and I'd let her come into bed with me...she'd be terrified and shaking

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can vouch for the thundershirt. Our dog would shake, cry and freak out a fireworks and thunder. When ever he got stressed or we knew it was going to be a rough night for him (New Years eve) we would but it on. Just the other week we realised there was fireworks going off nearby and here he was sound asleep on the mat not caring about anything.

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I could hold my dog and he'd still shake very very violently, we're getting him some doggy valium as recommended by our vet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well another storm last night so everyone up at 2am. He's grazed his paws and now he's limping.
    The valium works well for him but because he hears a storm up to 4 hours before it hits we have to keep topping thevalium up and by then its1am. I like the storm blanket idea.
    We have an outside laundry so that won't work. Our shed is a small brick thing ( it's a cyclone shelter room. Every house up here has one room to use in bad cyclones). I'd get him a doghouse but worry he'd trash it. I'd like something I can inject so it can be given if the storm hits but not sure vets give this out?
    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you put him on a blanket in the bathroom or even beside your bed (tie him to your bed if your worried he'll get up to mischief)? I'm not sure vets are allowed to give valium via syringe to just anyone to give their pet only tablets? Those thunder shirts are on eBay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I doubt vets would give anything injectable (I know I wouldn't) as the majority if what we have available is sedatives which while they can help at the time won't improve the situation over time. I would be asking your vet about an anti anxiety med such as Xanax (bearing in mind it's 3 years since I was in private practice so drugs may have changed) and combining that with behaviour therapy like the thunder shirt. Waggers77 would be a good one to ask - she's still treating small animals, if I could work the tagging thing it would be great. @ Waggers77.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dog is the same but we bring her inside into the laundry. Would he do the same in the bathroom in the house?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app