+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well my GP has been away and I got my results from another gp at the same practice. When she told me what my fasting levels were I told her that I didn't fast and she was a bit shocked but dismissed it saying I might be prediabetic. I seen another gp a week later and she said the same even after looking at my good sugar levels. Every person I spoke to at the hospital was in disbelief that I didn't fast and the diagnosis was sticking. The endocrinologist told me to test every second day then when I told the OB he sent me off straight away and said the test results are in invalid!! I'm ok if the results come back as having GD I can handle it but I just want to have the test done under the correct conditions. The lady in pathology could t believe I wasn't told to fast for the first test. All I want is a bit of consistency in advice and protocol!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bubbasmum For This Useful Post:

Phony  (22-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. My GP said nothing and didn't give any info. Neither did pathology. Second time round when I booked in at pathology at the hospital they explained what I needed to do and gave me an info sheet with what to do. Would have been great the first time around. Originally I thought thinks may have changed in the five years since I had my last baby!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bubbasmum For This Useful Post:

Phony  (22-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was diagnosed with GD today but my results don't seem very high from everything i can find. I did the 2hr fasting test.

Fasting result was 4.8 (could have been 5.8) and after 2 hours the result was 6.4. I cant find anything that suggests this is above the threshold for a positive diagnosis. I'm not sure why the diagnosis. Does this seem right?

Have my education session in 2 days so will ask more then.

Sent from my ME371MG using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think maybe above 6.0 is a high reading. When I had GD I had to keep below 6.5. Honestly, I think I went over that reading once. I had a low reading for the original rest but my dr said GD is GD even if it's a teeny bit over.
    Hopefully with a low reading you can manage it easily.
    Good luck

7. The Following User Says Thank You to moosey For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (16-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Was the fasting level 4.8 or 5.8? The cut-off is 5.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My levels were borderline like that and I was diagnosed with GD. I went to the education class, did the GD diet and checked my levels until the end.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't remember if fasting was 4.8 or 5.8. I have a feeling it may have been 5.8 in which case it would appear to be positive based on my fasting level.

The WHO report mentioned above says that over 8.5 at 2 hours is positive (I'm a long way under that) but the fasting rate needs to be 5 or below which makes me think maybe i got the fasting rate wrong and it was higher than i remembered.

Sent from my ME371MG using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think it depends on the hospital too because just in my dig those who had GD were told to keep under a range of numbers. 2hrs post meal I had to be under 6.7 and fasting under 5.0 but it was different for others in other states.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The numbers part is confusing as the threshold was changed (lowered) recently, which is why there seem to be a multitude of women being diagnosed with GD now. Some places go by the new while others still use the old ones.

My doctor stuck to the new lower numbers - fasting under 5, one-hour post-meal levels under 8 (although preferably under 7 if I could manage it). It is normal to measure after two hours but I'd get so hungry that I asked my doctor if I could just do one-hour levels instead and she was fine with that.

I found the diet harder than I thought, and I ate healthily before, just not so many carbs which I had to amp up during pregnancy.

On a positive note, because this is something that worried me throughout pregnancy, the GD went away immediately after birth! My blood sugars went very low after birth (I had a c-section and had been fasting for 6+ hours) but thankfully bubbas were stable and he is fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have recently been diagnosed with GD also. hope you don't mind me jumping in have been testing after meals for almost 2 weeks now and I am finally getting used to it I think!

my readings need to be under 5.5 fasting or 7 after meals which I have been managing minus a few slip ups with my eating :/