Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Angry Kids watching movies in schools----where do you draw the line?!

DD1 watched 2 movies back-to-back with her class during the learning time between recess and lunch as her teachers had to go off to prepare the term reports. I just don't agree with this. Why can't they do it during school hours without interrupting kids' learning or at home? Even if it was during the Music period, how responsible is it to let kids watch movies as they are lagging behind in finishing their reports?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My MIL used to be a kindy teacher (NSW), and she and her colleagues always did it after teaching hours. I don't think its right to do the reports during lesson time, but I don't think its really bad in the scheme of things. If it was something that was happening once a week, or several times a term, then I'd have a problem with that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loveshack View Post
    DD1 watched 2 movies back-to-back with her class during the learning time between recess and lunch as her teachers had to go off to prepare the term reports. I just don't agree with this. Why can't they do it during school hours without interrupting kids' learning or at home? Even if it was during the Music period, how responsible is it to let kids watch movies as they are lagging behind in finishing their reports?
    As a teacher myself let me assure you they will be putting in countless hours at home preparing reports as well. I'm not sure how you'd expect it to be done during school time without interrupting the kids learning?? It's just not possible.

I agree they shouldn't be watching two movies at school. I see nothing wrong with an end of year movie that the students have worked hard to achieve. Also movies related to the curriculum are fine.

Honestly though kids are put through the ringer much more these days to achieve data driven targets. I'd think a day that's a little relaxed would be welcomed by parents and students alike.

4. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (05-11-2013),beebs  (05-11-2013),Chippa  (05-11-2013),dancingchipmunk  (05-11-2013),gizmoduckus  (05-11-2013),JungleMum  (05-11-2013),lovelymum  (05-11-2013),M2OR  (05-11-2013),MrsSS  (05-11-2013),mrswhitehouse  (05-11-2013),orlyon  (05-11-2013),peanutmonkey  (05-11-2013),PomPoms  (05-11-2013),tatia&shura  (05-11-2013),~Marigold~  (05-11-2013)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I've never written reports during school time, and it takes hours and hours and hours, trust me! I had a student once who was in the spectrum and also just...horrible...home life and he was out-of-control. Every so often he'd go on these rampages and it would terrify my other kids. We'd have to do the whole school lockdown thing and everything. On those days I would generally do activity and a movie after lunch because they were too upset to learn. So, I think there are reasons when it's justified. Sometimes the kids are simply burnt out, and it's very clear that everyone needs a break.

Perhaps this was the case here, and the teacher took that opportunity to do some work as well?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Miados2007  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't agree with watching movies back to back but see no problem with teachers letting the children watch a movie while they get some other work done because honestly I think it is unfair to expect them to do it at home, just like everyone else they are paid for the hours they work at school and shouldn't be expected to work for free during their free time especially when some have children/families of their own to spend time with

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to loodle For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (05-11-2013),EvilWombatQueen  (05-11-2013),LaDiDah  (05-11-2013),LoCo  (05-11-2013),LoveLivesHere  (05-11-2013),madreader  (05-11-2013),mrswhitehouse  (05-11-2013),orlyon  (05-11-2013),tatia&shura  (05-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a recently graduated teacher as well and I'd never be comfortable doing this. I can understand if it's a wet-day timetable or so but putting on movies so that I can finish my reports...no I couldn't do it. I couldn't use kids' learning time to finish my reports.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by loodle View Post
    I don't agree with watching movies back to back but see no problem with teachers letting the children watch a movie while they get some other work done because honestly I think it is unfair to expect them to do it at home, just like everyone else they are paid for the hours they work at school and shouldn't be expected to work for free during their free time especially when some have children/families of their own to spend time with
    Planning and report writing take up time outside school hours. People get into teaching being aware of all this, whether it's the primary, secondary or adult education sector. Report writing cannot infringe on kids' learning time. I can't imagine this happening in the adult education sector.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't believe how many times my kids (in both high and primary) come home and tell me they watched movies during school lesson time! Back in my day we only got to watch educational programs on abc that went for no longer than 30mins then we went back to the class and did a lesson on what we just seen...not Disney movies that's for sure!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My yr 7dd watched Red Dog last yr for a lesson but they actually did a whole term on that book so that sort of thing I approve but not random movies to entertain the kids for no educational reason.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't have a problem with it although would think it would be a much more efficient use of "learning time" if they got the kids to write a report or draw a picture of something about the movie. That way, it isn't a complete waste. They are thinking and analysing what they have seen. And, the teacher can still get a bit of report writing done. Win Win!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast