+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 43
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    17,797
    Thanks
    5,158
    Thanked
    8,747
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I feel your pain but I have no doubt that you'll get there. Maybe you can all have a scroll through some of the healthy/kid friendly recipes on taste.com and each child can choose a dish to try.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,222
    Thanks
    894
    Thanked
    3,219
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I feel your pain but I have no doubt that you'll get there. Maybe you can all have a scroll through some of the healthy/kid friendly recipes on taste.com and each child can choose a dish to try.
    Yeah I'll have to get back onto doing that, and getting them to cook it. Even though I don't feel it helps with the eating, what I do hope it does it teaches them that if someone goes to the effort of cooking them a meal, it's really impolite and ungrateful to sit there at the table and pull faces and make "eeeewww" noises, like they do to me every night.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    17,797
    Thanks
    5,158
    Thanked
    8,747
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Yeah I'll have to get back onto doing that, and getting them to cook it. Even though I don't feel it helps with the eating, what I do hope it does it teaches them that if someone goes to the effort of cooking them a meal, it's really impolite and ungrateful to sit there at the table and pull faces and make "eeeewww" noises, like they do to me every night.
    DS1 is just like that - I lovingly made hidden veg sausage rolls the other night and he was all "GROSSSSSS!" yeah cheers mate!.

    The prep and the cooking etc.... will, I agree teach them good life skills, so it's definitely worth the effort.

  4. #24
    BH-KatiesMum's Avatar
    BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    22,971
    Thanks
    5,655
    Thanked
    6,125
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    tonight I made a vegie crocodile for DD ... her idea. Cucumber with cherry tomatoes and cheese and a few other bits for decoration.

    But usually I make vegie sausage rolls. I put in a small amount of sausage meat and a lot of pureed vegies ... with a drained tin of baked beans and/or chick peas to make it all the 'sausage roll' colour. Works a treat and she loves them.

  5. #25
    Mod-Nomsie's Avatar
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Vic
    Posts
    23,959
    Thanks
    7,214
    Thanked
    7,336
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Have you ever seen or read the blog of veggie smugglers? Wendy is great, and she has great advice on how to get kids to eating veg- start by hiding, and then slowly make the pieces bigger and bigger.

    If nothing else, you may pick up a few good recipes, and have a laugh at her blog

    And btw- I know all about rude kids at the dinner table. I could serve up tue finest meal in the world and my boys will still b1tch, whinge and moan about it and fight me tooth and nail.. And then once I finally coerce them into taking a bite, lo and behold they like it! Doesn't stop them from doing it the next night though. Over. It.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,222
    Thanks
    894
    Thanked
    3,219
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    Have you ever seen or read the blog of veggie smugglers? Wendy is great, and she has great advice on how to get kids to eating veg- start by hiding, and then slowly make the pieces bigger and bigger.

    If nothing else, you may pick up a few good recipes, and have a laugh at her blog

    And btw- I know all about rude kids at the dinner table. I could serve up tue finest meal in the world and my boys will still b1tch, whinge and moan about it and fight me tooth and nail.. And then once I finally coerce them into taking a bite, lo and behold they like it! Doesn't stop them from doing it the next night though. Over. It.
    I'm relieved to hear of a couple of others who have kids that whinge about dinner- I mentioned it to my mum once and she was horrified that my kids were so rude and that "you kids NEVER did that when you were little".. it made me feel like I'd done something wrong and that my kids were the only rude ones in the world. :/ Other than that though their manners are wonderful!

    Off to check out that blog now...

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,224
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked
    307
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When mine are too fussy , seems to come and go in stages? I force them to have one bite only of each thing. And eventually they find a few things they hate less than others lol and even more eventually they just eat those things they hated less. If that makes sense?
    I insist they take one bite of each thing every single night. I'm not really tough on it, so I don't care if it's a tiny bite or if they hate it so much they spit it out. When they are eating a readonable selection of veg I don't keep making them ie my 10yo eats lots of veg but hates carrot and way I serve it. As he eats the other veg I do t care if he won't eat carrot but my 5yo hates every single veg so I make him have tiny bites anyway in hope that he will get used to it and find some he likes.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,222
    Thanks
    894
    Thanked
    3,219
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpysmurf View Post
    When mine are too fussy , seems to come and go in stages? I force them to have one bite only of each thing. And eventually they find a few things they hate less than others lol and even more eventually they just eat those things they hated less. If that makes sense?
    I insist they take one bite of each thing every single night. I'm not really tough on it, so I don't care if it's a tiny bite or if they hate it so much they spit it out. When they are eating a readonable selection of veg I don't keep making them ie my 10yo eats lots of veg but hates carrot and way I serve it. As he eats the other veg I do t care if he won't eat carrot but my 5yo hates every single veg so I make him have tiny bites anyway in hope that he will get used to it and find some he likes.
    Yes I do that, and I won't give up on that. But it's been years and barely any improvement...

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,657
    Thanks
    602
    Thanked
    599
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I recently started doing mashed/puréed cauliflower instead of potato (boil/steam
    It in some stock). It's fantastic and my 4yo hasn't noticed the difference.

    What about making homemade Chips/crisps from diff veg by slicing thinly spraying w oil and pop in the oven.
    I hate traditional beetroot but thin beetroot are a great snack.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    6,096
    Thanks
    399
    Thanked
    747
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'll just add my whinge.

    Miss12 is currently undergoing medical investigations to find out if she cannot digest animal fats.

    She has always been tiny for her age, but the last two years she hasn't grown much at all. The reason given on the test forms is "failure to thrive".

    So she'll only eat a small amount of lean meat (roast beef, corned silverside, ham, lasagne, etc) and reject any greasy meat (chicken, sausages, etc). But she is a normal fussy kid and also refuses many foods just because she doesn't like the taste (fish, nuts, legumes, etc).

    I really don't think fruit, carrots, lettuce, and avocado is enough to sustain her. (At least she'll eat avocados though keeping them available is expensive.)

    Sent from my MEDION E4002 using The Bub Hub mobile app


 

Similar Threads

  1. Messy Eaters
    By MrsOhara in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-06-2013, 23:01
  2. Hidden veggies
    By Twoalready in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-03-2013, 22:12
  3. Dinners that can be prepared in the afternoon
    By Nemmy in forum Recipes & Lunchbox Ideas
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 19-11-2012, 13:38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Shapland Swim SchoolsSemi private learn to swim classes for a maximum of 3 children in specialized heated teaching pools. Our swim schools ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
❤Joyous June/July TTC!❤Conception & Fertility General Chat
I want C-section 1 day after due date!general c-section discussion and debate
alternatives to the contraceptive pill??Postnatal & General Women's Health Chat
Emilia vs EmeliaChoosing Baby Names
Neighbours 30 years - 2015Movies / Music / Books / TV Chat
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›